How do Local dive shops stay afloat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nauifins73:
I use my local travel agency also. I had to find one in Kansas City after the local one had to close. We have had a retail business, so I shop exclusively at local stores. I bypass Walmart & Target type stores also.

Becky
Cool glad to hear your not a hypocrite. I do my best to support local businesses, within reason

Chris Hipp:
ScubaToys is technically my LDS, about 6 or 7 minutes from my work, so am I supporting my LDS when I buy in store but not when I buy online?

Like someone mentioned before, most of these internet sites are actual dive shops. It is just like the difference between selling something at a garage sale or on ebay. sell it at a garage sale and only the people who happen to come by will see it and potentialy buy it, put it on ebay and everyone that wants one will be looking for it and find yours.

That was me who said it.

I'm lucky to live in So. Cal. Many of our local shops can sometimes beat the on-line prices Cetrtainly tanks are cheaper locally. But sometimers I'll buy from Scubatoys simply because it is easier. I don't have to get off my butt, into my car and waste an hour or more.

So two points in favor of the Internet

1) Prices may be better (but not always) and
2) The "hassel factor". I just bout a camera housing. My local shop could have ordered it for me but what's the point? If it has to be ordere I can do the oreding myself without making two trips to the shop.

On the other hand the locals can do things the Internet shops can't. ne local dive shop is offering free retals of drysuits. I suppose there will be some condidtins on this but I intend to check it out and you can guess where I will buy the suit. Internet shopsjust can't compete with this.

Another dive shop just set up some outside picnic tables, a BBQ and a rince tank and hagers. Now divers have a good reason to just "hang out" after a dive.

Wayward Son:
They provide equipment maintenance & possibly customization to area fire depts, police, and military. If they're up where no one dives in the winter, they often cover a 2nd sport, such as snow skiing.

Police and fire department business is very much a family thing. IME experience they usually buy equipment from a shop that's owned by a policeman. The same with most of their training but they might get some through an academy instructor. The average dive shop aint gettin near that business.

robbcayman:
That's hillarious countryboy. I want to support my local dive shop and go on trips with them. I will probably buy my computer and little stuff online. I will buy my reg, bc and wetsuit from the diveshop. I just need to find a good one. Thanks for all the help

My wife and I do support our local shop as much as we can. We also make sure to check online to see what kind of deal we can get there. Many times, it just takes a little bit of "discussion" to improve lds prices if there is a large difference.

I don't mind paying a few bucks more since I'm sure I'll get help with it if there are problems and questions, not to mention, the LDS is about 3 miles from my house, with a lake attached. They do get all of our educational $$$, so beating them up occasionally on the pricing isn't so bad.

Funny part is, some things are cheaper there than online, if you figure in shipping. (We also have 3 dive shops in town, so there is competition).

Let me tell my story.

I'm in the market for my first tanks (After 17 years, I've got the bug). I want LP95's. Scubatoys has them for $229 + $14 Shipping ($244). LP has them for $225 + $45 shipping!($270), LDS1 has them for $260(no haggling), LDS2 has them for $260 (2-week order, no more information). A not so local dive shop NSLDS(80 miles away) didn't carry them, but could get them. He's never sold one, so broke out the Manufacturer's book and told me what he pays for them ($180) plus shipping($15) and he would (Ballpark) sell them to me for $230 plus tax(2-week lead time). I told him from the beginning I was just shopping/thinking about it, but he took the time to show me how it's done. He also offered to look at a BC inflator hose that LDS3 wouldn't even try to fix since the BC was so old. He fixed it better than new for $35. So, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from his shop. I'll likely go back up there after the first to complete the sale.

BTW, I've bought a new wetsuit from LDS1, all of my accessories from LDS1, had a friend certified through LDS1, booked a Rig trip through LDS1, and have my gear serviced at LDS3. I'd dump them all for a shop like the NSLDS.

awap:
Just to clear up any ambiguity, what is a "reputable" LDS and how does a new diver go about finding one?

The way we did it was to go and check them out; buy equipment; take classes - took several visits to weed the bad ones out but it can be done. Time and effort like anything else.

scubabrandon:
Maybe you are suffering from nitrogen narcosis so I'll post what I did before and maybe this time you can realize what was being said:

"Well working (ME) in an industry driven by advertising sales, I believe I have seen enough reports on what types of business take the word of mouth route and which purchase advertising. But like you said you dont know what you dont know....."

Meaning that I work in a business that deals with ad creation, commerical creation, and sales EVERYDAY. So again I believe I have more info on the national and local advertising aspect. I have stacks of paper work on what types of business owners buy advertising and which ones rely on mostly word of mouth and a small ad in the yellow pages. My ability to know the sales market has nothing to do with 7 logged dives, but hey its not your fault your ignorance is showing, you dont know what you dont know...remember?
11ztongue.gif

Doesnt really matter, you do your short term thing and I'll do my long term thing. We both know who will be safer and better off in the long run...me.
I am interested in reading your opinion but I cannot tell what it is. All I get from your statements is that you are qualified to have it. I read it the first time, several times and again with absolutely no idea what your point is.

Dive Stores have the Products THERE. You cannot feel, inspect or compare the products side by side on the internet.
Think.....If there were no more retail Stores, You would not see the product until You bought it. Even if You're a smuck, Look, and have the "Dummies" teach You what You need to know about a product, See the product and Feel the product to inspect how it's made. How about Fitting?? Go ahead and trust the measurements from somebody that isn't even a diver on the internet. Fight with them "On-line". After shipping and time.....You might have to take another Course, ON-Line of course! How is that Open Water Dive on the Internet?? Bill

dilligaf368:
Dive Stores have the Products THERE. You cannot feel, inspect or compare the products side by side on the internet.
Think.....If there were no more retail Stores, You would not see the product until You bought it. Even if You're a smuck, Look, and have the "Dummies" teach You what You need to know about a product, See the product and Feel the product to inspect how it's made. How about Fitting?? Go ahead and trust the measurements from somebody that isn't even a diver on the internet. Fight with them "On-line". After shipping and time.....You might have to take another Course, ON-Line of course! How is that Open Water Dive on the Internet?? Bill

In theory they have the products there. The hitch to that is that it's usually a limited selection of brands, models and sizes. Few stores carry all sizes of each product so there's a good chance they'll measure you and order anyway.

Custome dry suits (which many people need to get a good fit) and even custom wet suits are a gamble. Rarely will the manufacturer take one back if it comes out wrong. When standard sizes need to be ordered (as I said few shops can affort to carry all sizes of every dry suit they can get as an example) time can still be an issue. Though the manufacturer may take it back, usually they'll want to shop to keep it and order another. You, or the shop, is still relying on the manufacturers sizing charts.

Luckily I dive a bp/wing so size isn't an issue there.

I'm one of those people who has a hard time finding a mask that fits so buying without trying is silly. However I have a few that fit and could easily order another of the same online. Fitting a mask in the store is just an educated guess anyway and you never really know until you dive it so the gamble is there unless they will let you try it in the water.

The fins I have will probably last me the rest of my life.

IME, in general dive shops are NOT the best place to go for a classes. They might be the easiest classes to find but usually not the best classes.

When I buy equipment I look for the best value. The same would be true if I was shoping for an instructor. I don't see what one has to do with the other though.

dilligaf368:

The reality is that internet stores and LDS's co-exist. Sure, the LDS may wish that other options were NOT available so they could continue to change $60 for a mask that one can purchase online for $20.

As for "Dummies" that's a rather huge generalization to describe internet retailers. Do you include Larry at ScubaToys in that catagory?

I am a customer online, and a customer at the LDS. Not sure why so many think that there is not a place for both in the market since there is.

Don't kid yourself, it really has nothing to do with online vs. LDS, but rather big vs. small. If WallMart entered the Diving industry, one could then watch the small LDS's go out of business with the store responsible sitting right next to the struggling shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom