How do I use my drysuit dump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi!

I have just bought (through E-Bay) a Bare D6 Supra Dry.

My experience of diving so far, is purely in drysuits. And only in rented ones with cuff dumps.

This new one has an adjustable automatic shoulder dump? WHich doesnt mean much to me. The manual isnt really much help either. It seems to suggest that it will maintain constant suit pressure depending on setting. Uh? And if i screw it in all the way it lets the suit hold more pressure, and out it will hold less.

I am used to a static thing on my arm that i stick upwards to vent any air I don't want. Do i take it that these things just vent as and when they please? Or will i find a perfect setting between the 2 extremes?

Also, it says that it manually dumps air if i push it in. Should i ever need to use this?

Slightly confused and a bit worried!

Thanks

I personally dive with my shoulder valve all the way open, as such it's more or less the same as a cuff dump, only on the shoulder. You have to orient yourself so the dump is the highest point for it to dump.

You can close the valve down a bit and it will retain more air, but you still have to orient yourself to dump air in the suit.

It is clear from the fact that you asked this question that you don't have any formal drysuit training, or at the very least, it didn't sink in. You say you have only experience in drysuits, yet your question is about the most rudimentary concept in drysuit diving. I would suggest you go to a dive shop and ask for some assistance, or at the bare minimum, find someone who is experienced in diving drysuits to help you out in a pool before you get into open water. People have been injured and killed by improperly using a drysuit.

Now...to answer your question:

When opened (turned all the way to the left) the valve will "automatically" dump air at the valves maximum rate. To dump air, the valve has to be in the highest position, so that the air bubble will flow to it. When closed (turned all the way to the right), the valve will not let any air out. If you are in a partially closed state, it will dump air more slowly. If you need to dump more air from a partially or fully closed state, you can press the valve down and it will dump air at it's maximum rate.

Most people I know dive with the valve all the way open at all times. You get a fair amount of squeeze, but you also have a much smaller pocket of air to deal with in the suit making ascents much easier.

As a preliminary matter, you should consider a drysuit class from a good instructor. They will cover much of what you ask.

The LDS where I am an AI includes a course with every dry suit purchase in order to prevent problems.

As for your question, it depends on where you are in your dive.

Normally, I open the valve fully (turn it counterclockwise until it stops), then tighten it two clicks. That allows me to maintain a squeeze without manually dumping while also keeping an appropriate volume of gas in the suit.

Ordinarily, the suit vents on its own when set this way. However, if I need to manually vent, I I lift my left shoulder and flex my left arm. The resulting pressure will vent the suit.

If I'm on a deco hang, I'll tighten the valve slightly and inflate a little bit. This keeps me a little warmer and still allows me to dump as described above.

Note that you can press the center of the valve for a manual dump if you need it. However, you should not need to do this if you're set up properly.

Thanks for the replies.

I have been trained on drysuit use. However, we did nothing whatsoever on the different types of exhaust valves.

I understand the concepts of drysuit use, and have used one quite a bit (and am comfortabke with them).

The inlet part is simple. But having only used suits with cuff mounted non- adjustable exhausts, I wrongly assumed this was the norm. The Bare manual made the exhaust valve sound complicated, and made me think that its use may well be different from what I am used to (Thus the worry).

From your replies. It sounds like the ones I have been using are equivalent to this new one in its fully open position?

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom