How do I use a Sensorcon with a Scuba tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan on getting a Sensorcon Industrial Pro CO detector. Before I do I wanted to know how do I use it to measure the Tank? Just slowly release some air out of the tank? If so is there a place on the sensorcon that it needs to butt up against? Also where can I purchase the new version...old version seems to be on Amazon

Ok with a little searching I found the gallon bag method and a possible hose method...also apparently just buy it direct from Sensorcon

Here's the method that I think works best. To prevent blowing high pressure air into the sensor and possibly damaging it, I put the sensor in a 1 gallon zip-lock bag, open the bag slightly and flow a SLOW stream of air from the tank to inflate the bag. Close it up...let the sensor do its thing and read the result right through the clear plastic bag.

Works for me.

I use a 6" x 1/4" OD flexible rubber hose that fits into the hole on the face of the gauge. Open the valve slightly so a gentle but steady stream of gas comes out. Hold the other end of the hose on the small hole in the valve. I have noted that it may give give a higher than actual reading if too much pressure. I’ve done several comparison tests between bag and hose methods to confirm I can get a consistently matching reading.

yes, buy direct from manufacturer.

I am lucky to have one of the yoke adapters sold as an option when I bought the Sensorcon unit several years ago, but put the hose in a sandwich bag holding the sensorcon unit rather than inserting the hose in the sensor opening. Whatever method you use, make sure you open the air valve very slowly or you will likely blow the bag out of your hand.

I just barely crack the valve open and hold the Sensorcon up to it. Same way I use my Nitrox analyzer.

I am lucky to have one of the yoke adapters sold as an option when I bought the Sensorcon unit several years ago, but put the hose in a sandwich bag holding the sensorcon unit rather than inserting the hose in the sensor opening. Whatever method you use, make sure you open the air valve very slowly or you will likely blow the bag out of your hand.

Is it possible that you could upload a picture of that Yoke adapter?

Thanks

upload_2021-1-16_15-32-2.png

The overpressure relief valve and filter do not seem to do much. If you are going to make one, I would just use a single hose without the connecting components. I think putting the Sensorcon unit in a sandwich bag and then slowly bleeding tank air into the bag, sealing the bag would work just as easily.

View attachment 636739

The overpressure relief valve and filter do not seem to do much. If you are going to make one, I would just use a single hose without the connecting components. I think putting the Sensorcon unit in a sandwich bag and then slowly bleeding tank air into the bag, sealing the bag would work just as easily.
Thank You.
It would be fairly easy to make that device if it was not for the metal cap and nipple. I doubt you can buy that anywhere. When I get the time I am going to see if I can DIY up something. The LP port hose to the BCD would be a lot easier to work with but using a direct connection to the tank is easier if you need to check several tanks in a dive group.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the yoke connector might be a yoke to DIN adapter, and the black part is plastic with a brass nipple that slides in for the threaded end. I have no doubt the plastic screw in part could be made with a 3D printer and you could easily find a nipple to insert. Using minimal air flow from the tank, you would not need anything that requires high pressure tolerances. Even if the threaded part leaked a bit, the Sensorcon would read the CO in the air coming into the sensor port whether you stuck the hose in the port or put the Sensorcon in a plastic bag with the hose inserted into the bag.

Back
Top Bottom