How do I tell if my compass is liquid filled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a silva polaris i want to use in my class. I know, i should eventually switch to a suunto SK-7 or similar, but until then: how do i tell if my compass is liquid filled? The manufactuer's website is useless, and i don't see any bubbles in the bezel. Am i correct that a liquid filled compass will survive depth? Thanks.

I have a silva polaris i want to use in my class. I know, i should eventually switch to a suunto SK-7 or similar, but until then: how do i tell if my compass is liquid filled? The manufactuer's website is useless, and i don't see any bubbles in the bezel. Am i correct that a liquid filled compass will survive depth? Thanks.

First it is extremely rare to have a compass that is liquid filled without even a tiny bubble, but you may just be lucky.

The prime indication that it is liquid filled is the damping of the needle as you move it around or incline it. It should be obvious whether there is liquid damping the movement.

As to surviving depth - I once had a liquid filled one for terrestrial use that I took to depth. It survived the pressure but the spring designed to apply friction to the bezel rusted away 24hours later. :depressed:

I highly doubt the Silva is going to hold up underwater.

Save your compass and bite the bullet, if buying your correct choice is not in the budget just rent one.

I have used a Silva and even cheaper on several occasions. It's a compass!

Today, it's hard to find one that is NOT liquid filled. Turned your compass 180o and watch the needle. Did it oscillate more than once or twice? If it did, it's air filled. If it's rock steady and almost lethargic, then it's liquid filled. The liquid is there to dampen the needle action.

I've seen this come up a few times and the biggest issue seems to be that the spring component rusts after a few uses. I don't know if rinsing well would help the situation as I haven't used mine underwater, but for $10 you might as well try it and see how it works.

Why is there a bubble in my liquid filled compass? Is that by design or does it have a leak?

The Silva Polaris is liquid filled (used as a dampening agent to help stabilize the needle), and depth induced pressure should present no problem. I have a similar compass that I have in my wet notes pocket that I use for pre-dive planning and as an in-water back-up. It's all plastic so it doesn't corrode and it works fine. You must however keep good horizontal orientation to allow the needle to swing freely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom