How do I see the SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pete340:
There is no default return (except from main). The behavior of that code is undefined for any value of item that doesn't match one of the case labels. (And we won't say anything about the missing curly brackets for the switch statement)

Hey, this is the DIR forum! You mean to say:

If you use this code you are going to die!

";-)

Reinoud:
Hey, this is the DIR forum! You mean to say:

If you use this code you are going to die!

That's much better than the usual programmer's version: demons will fly out your nose.

pete340:
Please point to the words in the C or C++ Standard that say that functions other htan main have implicit return values.

Never mind. Obviously I haven't yet learned the proper DIR attitude. <g>

MikeFerrara:
I never did punch cards. I'm old enough but I wasn't working with computers then. I did start before the 8086 though.

What I lack in years I make up with the envionment I work in. Actually I've been loosing my mind for the last few months as I got tossed back into the application layer and have had to work in C and Pascal again. Working in C before wasn't bad when it was down at the kernel level, but applications just got damn old.

When I first got moved into the driver and kernel areas of my product I was blown away when the guy who was training me joked about having to compile the C code down to macro-32 assembler listings to be able to actually read what it's doing. A couple years later I had done enough work in Macro-32 assembler that I moved to doing the same thing. It got even worse when I became proficient in reading compiler generated macro-64 assembler code. I'll take a look at something like the example in this thread, compile it, and stare at the assembler code for the real answers.

I got shipped off to a clinic a few months back that was on porting applications to the Itanium chip. It was sorta a surprise thing that I wasn't even expecting and I found out the day I returned from 2 1/2 weeks out of the office that I was heading up there the next day. The true reason was they were giving Itanium systems to each attendee and it was a cheap way to score a couple for our test lab. Being without a project, I grabbed xflame off the freeware disk and proceeded to hack the code and stare at the itanium assembler listings in order to trick the compiler into generating code that took advantage of the 3 instruction parallel processing that the Itanium chip provided.

I know I know... pretty friggin' sick. I suspect there aren't many people here that know what the XDelta debugger is, but if there are, they will easily realize how sick I am :wink:

MikeFerrara:
I never did punch cards. I'm old enough but I wasn't working with computers then. I did start before the 8086 though.

We had processor boards with an 8085 (I think) and a key pay.

We would write an assebly language program, disassemble it (by hand of course) and type the hex machine code directly into memory by way of the key pad.
You're making me feel like an ancient geezer, sitting in my rocker on the porch and shouting at the neighbor kids to stay off my lawn. I remember when this guy from this new startup called Intel showed our Tau Beta Pi group how this clock chip they had called a 4040 could be hacked to act like a CPU. They had little kits you could build - I/O was a paper tape, the deluxe kit had an 4 digit LED readout. Ah, the old days.

GEEZER: You kids don't know how easy you have it nowadays.

KIDS: How was it back in the old days, Gramps? [aside] you pathetic old fart.

GEEZER: We wrote our code in 360 assembler! We punched our own cards! If you dropped your card deck, you just had to kill yourself! None of these new-fangled PCs either! We ran terminal sessions on a main frame! We thought 256K of core memory was heaven!

KIDS: Can somebody just shoot this guy and put him out of his misery?

pete340:
Please point to the words in the C or C++ Standard that say that functions other htan main have implicit return values.

I could go on about the strokes that use less than optimal operating systems and don't think twice about having to reboot a system to compensate for a lack of quality in the OS, while touching into the complete baffoonery of an OS that allows for non-privledged applications to actually generate a fault that results in the system to crash.

But I don't feel like it :wink:

Yea... I know it's not defined. The architectures I work on cover the issue in the calling standard of the OS so the register is clear when you fall into the RET. Of course once you take the relaxed-ansi flag off the compiler, and upgrade to a later version the code won't even compile anymore... but of course; that's what happens when corners get cut for a dozen years and then you try and clean the code up.

Spectre:
I could go on about the strokes that use less than optimal operating systems and don't think twice about having to reboot a system to compensate for a lack of quality in the OS, while touching into the complete baffoonery of an OS that allows for non-privledged applications to actually generate a fault that results in the system to crash.

But I don't feel like it :wink:

Yea... I know it's not defined. The architectures I work on cover the issue in the calling standard of the OS so the register is clear when you fall into the RET. Of course once you take the relaxed-ansi flag off the compiler, and upgrade to a later version the code won't even compile anymore... but of course; that's what happens when corners get cut for a dozen years and then you try and clean the code up.
hey computer geeks!! Stop hijacking the damned thread!! i thought this was diving forum!!:wink:

BCS:
hey computer geeks!! Stop hijacking the damned thread!! i thought this was diving forum!!:wink:

Ehhh.. this one was cursed from the start. At least I managed to feel like I did something quasi-work related while on work time! :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom