How do I secure my camera for ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you get a counter balance weight with your housing? If not, it would be easy enough to make one. My Oly C-5050 rig, with strobe, is slightly negative.

BTW...my lanyard is BLUE. Pukey Pink was the color of the only picture I could find of one.

alcina - Thanks for the excellent suggestion - 2 quick disconnects. That is what I'm going to try. I hold my computer in my right hand during ascent, so that I can monitor my ascent rate and depth.

Dee:
Did you get a counter balance weight with your housing? If not, it would be easy enough to make one. My Oly C-5050 rig, with strobe, is slightly negative.
Actually I was quite shocked with my Stylus 400. It's darn near neutral in the case. I would have thought as light as it is it would be positve...

Back to the original question:

I'm new to this too so I may play around some later, but I just used the wrist strap that came with the camera attached to my right wrist. Most of the time I'm holding the camera but if I need my hand I just let go.

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions on keeping your gear attached. Me and my wallet appreciate it!

The wrist strap has just got to go, even when entering the water doing a back roll or deep stride the camera (while strapped to the wrist) it would sometimes wack me good upside the head.

I also understand it was only $600, and others are diving with much better pro gear (as the $4000-6000 been mentioned) I've got a Sony TRV9 mini-DV cam-corder that I've been wanting a housing for, but have hesitated in case of a loss.
(anyone got a housing for sale "cheap"?)

I'll be sure to keep posting some awesome pictures from Belize from the before-mentioned "sacrificed to the dive gods camera" so be sure to check out what I was able to shoot when I had it. Great camera, great housing.

Guess it was better to lose it on the first dive, rather than the 5th dive, so I don't have any "memories" in the memory chip.

Actually I enjoyed my dives in a different fashion without pausing every 2-3 minutes to frame and compose the marine life snapping off 40-50 shots per dive. Allowed me to soak in the experience more and become a better diver working on my breathing and skills instead of focusing on the photo shoot.

Something to think about. A camera isn't a MUST on EVERY dive.
:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom