How do I make the SRP tray more neutrally bouyant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishtn

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone added material or something to make it more bouyant? Or should I not even worry about it?

If your using arms, you could also get some neoprene pipe insulation for plumbing, and the ziptie it around the arm(s). Cheap and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone added material or something to make it more bouyant? Or should I not even worry about it?

Don't worry about it or get a more neutrally buoyant camera case

Haven't had a problem even with a bunch of stuff attached

Look at ~ 3 min

[video=youtube_share;ex13Djtk5Qk]http://youtu.be/ex13Djtk5Qk[/video]

Here's what I did to make my camera set-up neutrally buoyant:

Used PVC pipes with end caps for the majority of the buoyancy and attached sections of "Pool Noodles" to lights for some "balance" and a little extra buoyancy. Foam doesn't seem to provide enough buoyancy for my 3 lbs of equipment and is bulky, but I found out some relevant facts: Less dense foam is more buoyant. Polyurethane and Polystyrene are water proof and need to be of the "closed cell" variety otherwise, open cell foam will absorb water like a sponge. To keep the paint on the PVC scratch free use a plastic compatible spray paint like Krylon Fusion, then clear coat it for extra durability. All buoyancy components were attached with zip ties.
DSCN0198.jpgDSCN0199.jpgDSCN0202.jpg

Fishstix, have you had your floats underwater? I wonder how much they compress.

FYI: plastidip is PVC and comes in brush and spray forms

Here's what I did to make my camera set-up neutrally buoyant:

Used PVC pipes with end caps for the majority of the buoyancy and attached sections of "Pool Noodles" to lights for some "balance" and a little extra buoyancy. Foam doesn't seem to provide enough buoyancy for my 3 lbs of equipment and is bulky, but I found out some relevant facts: Less dense foam is more buoyant. Polyurethane and Polystyrene are water proof and need to be of the "closed cell" variety otherwise, open cell foam will absorb water like a sponge. To keep the paint on the PVC scratch free use a plastic compatible spray paint like Krylon Fusion, then clear coat it for extra durability. All buoyancy components were attached with zip ties.
View attachment 166391View attachment 166392View attachment 166393
Where did you get the black pool noodles?

I think he painted them. (I used black spray plastidip on my floats).

You are correct.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 09:53 AM ----------

Is the spray plastidip that stuff that is advertised to stop leaks? I think the brand name is Flex Seal- AKA a "handyman in a can?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom