How do I know if the suit fits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl69

Reaction score
I am new to diving, and have tried on many suits. I have been told the suit needs to fit tightly. I am thin and have a big chest. I am in a suit now that fits good except it is choking me at the neck and wrists, and after 15 minutes in it I took it off and it left seam marks up my legs and arms. If I go to the next size up, it will bag in the hip and back area, and be to long in the arms and legs.
This new suit is a size 4 (I wear a 0-2).

I appreciate all advice from experienced divers!:D Thanks!

Try the companies that custom make suits. It's not good if it's too tight around your neck. Look on Yahoo or Google.There are lots of them. Off the shelf suits don't really fit me either.

Yeah sounds like you might need to go custom. Have you tried any of the hyperstretch suits like BARE or Henderson? They're a pretty good fit for the real "average" diver.

It is the coolest suit I have ever seen, it is an "Exceed" suit. It is beautiful suit. I am keeping it. I will get a custom also. Just really want to know if the average diver dive in a "tight" suit, one that does not bag.

diveman7683:
Yeah sounds like you might need to go custom. Have you tried any of the hyperstretch suits like BARE or Henderson? They're a pretty good fit for the real "average" diver.

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Comfort is the real issue. A suit needs to:
1: Keep the diver warm
2. Fit well enough to not only do the above, but also not restrict movement.
3. Not chafe or irritate you.

If it fails in any of these three ways then it is not the appropriate suit. It can't be so loose that water sloshes around in it or else you will get cold, but it can't be so tight that you hate wearing it.

scubagirl69:
I am new to diving, and have tried on many suits. I have been told the suit needs to fit tightly. I am thin and have a big chest. I am in a suit now that fits good except it is choking me at the neck and wrists, and after 15 minutes in it I took it off and it left seam marks up my legs and arms. If I go to the next size up, it will bag in the hip and back area, and be to long in the arms and legs.
This new suit is a size 4 (I wear a 0-2).

I appreciate all advice from experienced divers!:D Thanks!

Hello, Welcome to Scubaboard, My name is Justin. Glad to meet you, looking for a dive buddy?? *Insert cheezy pickup line here*

scubagirl69:
I am in a suit now that fits good except it is choking me at the neck and wrists, and after 15 minutes in it I took it off and it left seam marks up my legs and arms.

Did you wear it in the water or was it dry? Mine is always tight until I get in the water and then it loosens up a bit. When I first got my hooded vest I had to wear it in the shower a few times and allow it to stretch (per divetanks recommendation).

johnnyseko:
When I first got my hooded vest I had to wear it in the shower a few times and allow it to stretch (per divetanks recommendation).

I bet your wife/significant other/dog/cat got a kick out of that! I can only begin to imagine what my wife, a non-diver, would say if I did that.

I assume this is the suit you are talking about: http://www.exceedwetsuits.com/products.php?cat=ww&sub=412be73aed6d6

You might call the mfgr and discuss the problem. They may offer to modify at a reasonable cost. Different mfgrs suits of the same size may fit quite differently. I've found that the more expensive suits tend to fit me better than many of the cheaper products. You really should try on a Henderson Hyperstretch. The cost is high but they are quite forgiving of and adaptable to your body's peculiarities.

I agree with Awap, getting a more expensive suit is the way to go.... they are just made with better materials for a better overall fit. Cheap suits are just cheap, and they will end up not working for you. You also mention seeing seams on your legs and arms.... that is bad sign, it's like the suit telling you "I'm cheap."

I've wore lots of suits in my life from surfing to wakeboarding and now scuba diving. I like Ripcurl and Aleeda the best. They both make a wide range of suits for girls too. Surfing suits tend to be really flexible, and tuff. So don't limit yourself to just the scuba manufacturers, check out a few at a surf shop. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom