How do I juggle my computer, a camera, and a light with two hands ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Move your computer to your right wrist to begin with, and as suggested, leave the camera at home for while.

Reactions: Doc
Explain your number of dives in a day that you’re planning. Maybe that would explain the need for dive computer use.

Not sure otherwise the actual application or need to reference a dive computer mid-dive.

And yes, I would agree with the “leave the camera” at home comments. Updating your dive count or not- if you’re asking this question, you’re not yet ready for this amount of task loading.

Go, enjoy the dive. Get used to knowing what time and depth combines to look like on your computer. This will teach you when it’s really got advice for you, or not so much.

With a GoPro I usually position it and keep it pointed ahead of me when I first drop down and really pay little attention to it afterwards other than to change its direction to the side briefly if I want to film something. To give a visual, think about carrying a cup of hot coffee, it doesnt track with the rest of your body or your eyes. The camera itself is independent of where I'm looking and a few seconds of checking your computer or signaling a buddy shouldn't ruin filming. My primary light will either be on my hand or sometimes stowed if I have a video light.

I have my comp on my left wrist and my flashlight is fixed to my camera's flash arm. I am right-handed, so I hold the camera in my right hand and the flash arm with the flashlight is on the left side of the housing. When I'm ready to take a shot, I aim, focus, and at the very last moment cover the flashlight with my left hand to avoid the bright spotlight in the frame.

Probably an awfully dumb question, but..

II'll be diving inside structures ( 727 airplane, school bus, quarry processing buildings) and want to take some some hand held video of the adventure.

It gets darker inside these at depth, with limited visibility so a light is a very good thing.

So here's the quandry, I'm left handed, I wear my dive computer on my left wrist.

The camera is on a Go Pro "the Handler" so its close and easy point and shoot. With my left hand.

I generally use my light with my left hand.

The question is, how does one juggle all of that ? Video, illumination, and most importantly always peeping at the computer ?

I told you it was a dumb question !
Use your right hand for some of those things.

On the GoPro...mask mounted is nice if you want to bring it along, would like a few pictures and short clips from the video footage, but don’t want the distraction of fiddling with a camera.

https://www.makospearguns.com/SCUBA-Dive-Mask-with-GoPro-Mount-p/mgprdm.htm

Yeah...you’re not going to impress anyone with your footage, but if you just want some pictures and a few clips here and there if you see something cool...it works.

Some options;
You can use a neoprene Goodman handle for a light.
Light can be mounted on the camera handle / tray.
Computer on the inside of your wrist so that it's viewable whilst taking photos or filming.
Move your computer to the other wrist.

Buy another cheapo computer as back up and wear it on your other wrist.

You shouldn't need to touch your computer much. Just check it for depth/time/NDL which should all be displayed without pushing any buttons.

Put your light on a goodman mount on the left hand. I would also put the computer on the left wrist. Carry the camera in your right hand (with a wrist lanyard). Personal preference though.

Both the light and camera should have boltsnaps on them so they can be clipped off to a chest D-ring. If you need to mess with your computer, stop recording and securely clip off the camera (or, let it dangle from a wrist strap if it's only down for a moment). Boltsnaps are better than retractors or anything with plastic buckles. Use boltsnaps not spring carabiners which can catch entanglements.

Putting your light on a tray/arm with the camera is also a decent option.

I agree that as a new diver you should enjoy the dive and work on your control in the water and attentiveness to buddies, navigation, etc. before adding trying to film.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom