Question Should I buy a 10000 lumens light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, I misread 10,000 as 1000; I would not carry such a big light as a new diver. Instead, I'd focus on diving and photography/videography in areas with more natural light. A dark cenote with delicate decorations and a bottom that you want to avoid stirring up is very advanced camera/video, and one I would not attempt until much later especially if carrying additional substantial gear/lights.

The best thing you can do to improve your videos at this point is to finetune your buoyancy and trim, so that later you can add the task loading of big camera gear without it hurting your ability to stay perfectly still and level while shooting video. Working with natural light will also help you finetune your own video abilities and video editing, and really really get to know your camera and rig. All that will help make for stellar videos when you're ready to take into overhead environments.

For reference, I'm full cave certified, have well over 600+ dives, and generally do not take my camera into the cave with me (if I bring it at all, I usually leave it with the O2 bottles to play with during deco in the spring basin/just inside the cavern).

If you're really enthusiastic about cenotes, I'd def recommend you do a cavern certification once you've gottten a few more dives under your belt - many agencies offer a recreational cavern course taught in a single tank with equipment basically similar to what you are already diving. They're a great way to learn more about diving in (limited) overhead environments safely, and what goes into doing that.

Here is my advice if you want good video/photos. Spend as much as you possibly can on high quality video lights. Skip everything else and go straight to the Keldans. Buy once cry once but light is the key. Especially where there is no natural light (cenotes/caves).

Ah, I misread 10,000 as 1000; I would not carry such a big light as a new diver. Instead, I'd focus on diving and photography/videography in areas with more natural light. A dark cenote with delicate decorations and a bottom that you want to avoid stirring up is very advanced camera/video, and one I would not attempt until much later especially if carrying additional substantial gear/lights.

The best thing you can do to improve your videos at this point is to finetune your buoyancy and trim, so that later you can add the task loading of big camera gear without it hurting your ability to stay perfectly still and level while shooting video. Working with natural light will also help you finetune your own video abilities and video editing, and really really get to know your camera and rig. All that will help make for stellar videos when you're ready to take into overhead environments.

For reference, I'm full cave certified, have well over 600+ dives, and generally do not take my camera into the cave with me (if I bring it at all, I usually leave it with the O2 bottles to play with during deco in the spring basin/just inside the cavern).

If you're really enthusiastic about cenotes, I'd def recommend you do a cavern certification once you've gottten a few more dives under your belt - many agencies offer a recreational cavern course taught in a single tank with equipment basically similar to what you are already diving. They're a great way to learn more about diving in (limited) overhead environments safely, and what goes into doing that.
Thanks! That's very informative and constructive. Your reply clarifies my concern straight to point. I won't buy a big light but will try my new little 2000 lumens light hehe. Meanwhile, I will improve my buoyancy and trim.

Wow respect. Full cave is a no no for me haha. But after diving in cavern I'm starting to be a little bit interested... especially after my instructor took me to Dreamgate, I was amazed, it's mesmerizing.. but cave probably no. (Or maybe, do the certification without going into caves??) Anyway, I know I'm thinking way too ahead lol. Cavern certification does seem interesting, thanks for the recommendation, I'll think about it after logging more dives.

Just curious, is cavern certification a prerequisite of cave certification?

Here is my advice if you want good video/photos. Spend as much as you possibly can on high quality video lights. Skip everything else and go straight to the Keldans. Buy once cry once but light is the key. Especially where there is no natural light (cenotes/caves).
buy once cry one hahaha but facts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom