How do I get white residue off my fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmmkiwi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had to replace my fins back in Jan 2009. My new fins are a pair of black rubber splits. Ever since I had the new fins there has been a filmy white residue on them that I can scrape off with my fingernail. It does not wash off with soap and water. Was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get this stuff off. It looks really gross.

If those are real rubber (not plastic or synthetic) fins then the white material you see is the natural oils in the rubber slowly exuding and then once exposed to air (oxygen) they oxidize and thus the white residue. It is normal, leave it alone.

N

When I have purchased my pair of Scubapro Jetfins they smelled horrible - can't really describe, but enough to make you sick if you stayed with them in the room for a few hours (surprisingly, a friend ordered at the same time a pair from another shop, and they only had some normal rubber smell).

I tried to let the fins in the bathtub in water overnight, with some Johnson baby shampoo, hoping the smell will go away (and then of course I have rinsed them well with fresh water). When they dried, they were coated in a white-greyish thing, like you describe. It went away easily rubbing with a piece of crumpled dry toilet paper, and didn't came back after diving them in salt water. The smell is still there tough.

Nemrod's explanation sounds right.

So the conclusion is that if I wish to have my fins looking brand spankin new, make sure theire synthetic?

Try rubbing them with some rough paper, as I said. It works. The white thing never came back in my case.

Rubbing alcohol should remove the stuff. If not switch to a harsher chemical. Or just leave them alone and use them. Of course you could also toss them on the rocks and just generally beat them up so they do not look new anymore.

If those are real rubber (not plastic or synthetic) fins then the white material you see is the natural oils in the rubber slowly exuding and then once exposed to air (oxygen) they oxidize and thus the white residue. It is normal, leave it alone.

N

Right.

However, if you are one of those "must be perfect" types, rub a (very) little baby oil on them, just be careful that you don't too much, they will get slippery.

Could also be the release agent from the manufacturing process.

So the conclusion is that if I wish to have my fins looking brand spankin new, make sure theire synthetic?

No, the white-ish oxidation is an indication of quiality rubber and new fins. Removing it only will cause it to continue and make them look old with the chemical removals and mechanical removal.

BTW, fins are not supposed to look new, they are supposed to be scared up, bitten by sharks, run over by boats, shot with spear guns, lost and found. That gives you scuba cred on the boats that wimpy plastic fins will never get you.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom