How do I get my smb out....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
Yeah but the problem is with the ill design of the lift bag storage....the backplate sits on your back (snug) and the bag is in that little silly pack between you and the backplate making if very difficult to remove.....and above that there is still the crotch strap that is in the way.

As mentioned above the best idea is to have it in bungee loops hanging off the bottom of the backplate.

You can do it in the storage pak pretty easily if you play around with it. You probably want to pull the butt d-ring further forwards, and you want to make sure that when you insert the SMB/lift bag that it doesn't get trapped beyond the restriction inside the opening, it should hang out a little bit. You also want to avoid folding it in a 'spiral', but instead fold it over itself, so that when you pull it out it extends and makes it easier to pull the rest out.

Hope that helps some...

The trick is in the folding of the bag. You'll see on the MC pack, where the elastic is, is the narrowest point of the opening. Fold the liftbag narrower than this. When you put it in the MC pack, there should be almost no resistance. If the fold is too wide, you may have problems getting it out. You can then attach the lift bag's bolt snap to the butt dring or leave the bolt snap barely sticking out the bottom of the pack (right side is the standard for us).

To deploy, being horizontal helps. Just reach back with right arm and pull down and to the side. If your harness was overly tight, or a problem with your exposure protection I could set the potential for problems. I've never had problems with the crotch strap interfering.

Originally Posted by Tamas
As mentioned above the best idea is to have it in bungee loops hanging off the bottom of the backplate.

jonix:

Her kit config. is a little on the odd side of Hog clean, but if she were assisting me with my set-up I wouldn't complain about the loopiness. Grrrrrh. Mr. X

If you are not averse to trying a different location, I keep my smb in my armpit by attaching it to the top two holes in the side of the plate with surgical tubing. I really like how easy it is to get to, and it is in a protected place (like it is on the bottom of the plate). If I carry a lift bag, it could go on the other side, but I just swap out the smb for a lift bag if I plan on lifting anything, and I put it in the same spot (left top side of bp).

Jonix, thanks for that site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom