How do I free up a Zipper 'frozen' or salt embedded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem is you have aluminum corrosion inside the zipper slide. A good soaking in a warm water and vinegar solution will do the trick. As soon as you can get it to move just a little, work it back and forth, flushing it out as you go. The vinegar will not hurt the reg, that is what a lot of us clean them in, just be sure to rinse it and the bag well once you get it free. I lube the zippers with silicone grease. Yea I know it will hold grit but IMO that is better than the zippper slide seizing up again.

Praise the Lord~! After the warm water, vinegar & tooth brush, our son-in-law was here the next day & he worked with the track (not the zipper) and FREED it up. Now I've washed the bag & it is thoroughly drying. I'll put lubricant on the tracks before closing it. Thank you one & all.

I was in the US recently staying with a diver friend, and he brushed a proprietary liquid on a seized zipper. Next day it was free. But he's gone travelling and I can't ask him what it was. Not everything with a zipper is suitable for soaking, and this liquid worked wonderfully.

Does anyone have any idea what it might have been?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom