How do I build a fill whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a 6 cu ft bottle for dry suit inflation and read how others (UP) fill their bottle from a steel 72. I found a tank equalizer filling whip on leisure pro but was wondering if I could build it cheaper. Doesn't look too difficult but I want to build it correctly so it'll handle the 3000 psi.

Anyone have any tips? plans?

Thanks,
Tony

I had a couple spare air filler yokes from previous mistakes. Local hydraulic shop found the necessary connectors from their catalog and used 4000 psi hose. Cost of hose & connectors was around $30.00. The equalizer hose needs a bleed capability, but I'm sure one of the spare air connectors could be replaced with a DIN adapter to save a little. Between filling the pony and balancing main tanks, it has more than paid for itself.

You could do it with as little as two yoke (or Din) connections (make sure at least one has a bleed down fitting) and a length of high pressure hose but I would recommend installing an additional needle valve to allow yourself more control of the fill rate. It would not be that much more expensive to add in a pressure gauge on the fill side after the valve, this would allow you to watch the fill rate accurately...

Pricing is going to depend on your source but the only items that you wouold be forced to purchase from a diving company would be the cylinder connections. Graingers is a good source for gauges and limited air fittings as one example, you can also look in the phone book for your area and see what type of industrial hose companies are around. If they do not mind taking the time to do a small order then you will be able to build it pretty cheap...

Jeff Lane

is $99 for a yoke to yoke tank equalizer. But they are out of stock right now.

The only place I've seen the yoke fittings sold separately is on northeast scuba and those run about $40 each. Unless there is another supply out there, I'm thinking the $99 price may be a good one.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom