How do I avoid hose pull?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kruer

Registered
Reaction score
Both my wife and I have Zeagle regulators and have a problem with hose pull. While diving we have to constantly tightly grip the regulator to avoid losing it when moving our heads. The first stage has a swivel end and we have tried a number of different length hoses. We even tried a swivel on the first stage and then on the second stage, this just caused the hose to catch on our shoulders!

Zeagle is offering a tradeup for our regulators so we are considering replacing them. But thought we would ask how others have dealt with this problem.

Are Zeagle regulators known for this problem?

Willie

Maybe your tank is too low on your back? I've seen this situation many times. The tank should be high enough but not so high the reg hits the back of your head when tilting head back.

I’m actually have the same problem with 6tf hose and my Apex XTX50.Regulator hose is on my right side so every time I turn my head to the left and right . I have to adjust the hose or I’m not able to move my head to the lest because hose restriction.

Regards

Marcin

I'm surprised to hear that you have already tried using different length hoses and are still having a problem. Like 24940 said, I also use a 7' hose for my primary reg (wraps from the 1st stage under a hip pocket, then across my chest and around my head; DIR configuration) and have zero issues with it pulling from my mouth. I'd still recommend using a longer hose.

Often times, the swivels on a regulator do little good. When the hose is charged with air, it is rather rigid and the swivel will not move easily under that pressure. Experimenting with different hose lengths may well work.

In the past two weeks, the new XS Scuba MiFlex hoses have been released here in the United States. We have already had considerable feedback on these hoses, and almost all say that they regulator is much more comfortable in the mouth and there is much less pulling.

If you are interested in trying these, check at your local scuba store from XS Scuba MiFlex. If you can't find them, I have a Hot Deals thread on them. Simply search for "miflex". Thanks.

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

I dive a 7' hose on my primary and have never had a hose pull issue. It's worth considering, imo.

Same here.

7 footer on both double and single rigs and have no hose pull issue at all.

I suppose they could also try double hose regulators but that's not how most of the world dives either.

Since they both have the problem and have tried hose lengths I would suggest a few other things.

1. As mentioned don't wear the cylinder too low.
2. Is the Primary 2nd stage hose rigged to run out at a right angle to the cylinder as it should?
3. Did you each end up with very small soft mouthpieces? I have seen some small silicone ones that don't do much to hold themselves in your mouth. My wife has one like that and likes it, go figure.

Pete

I suppose they could also try double hose regulators but that's not how most of the world dives either.

Comparing DH to long hose doesn't make any sense, but it does call attention to your bias. Negating the potential benefits by saying most divers don't dive that way is equally telling, but I'm sure there were many such statements as the double hose evolved to the single.

Long hose is one option of several.

My first thought was "their tanks are too low". With standard recreational hose configurations, that's very often the source of the problem. On the other hand, if you have long enough hoses, that's less likely.

My second thought is "MiFlex for the win!" I have a MiFlex hose on my pony, and the slung configuration means I sometimes even have to hold the hose just to keep the reg in my mouth. The MiFlex hose's flexibility is such that... well... I can't say enough good things about it. Try one, and if you don't like it... um... what's wrong with you? :D Hehe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom