How do I avoid hose pull?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem you are experiencing is not a regulator issue. Work on the hose length, routing, and maybe a Sea Cure or other after market mouth piece.

FWIW if you are using the Tech 50D regulators they are made by Apeks, and considered to be a regulator of choice for many technical divers. I call them a best kept secret as few know who really built them. Apeks regs command a high resale price. Not sure what Zeagle is offering and it may be a fair price. They seem to be a stand up company.

I purchased two sets of the Tech 50D for my gal to dive with. She uses a long hose and has no problems with the reg pulling. Of course we did change out her mouth piece.

For those of you using a long hose, and having it bind, next time have your buddy look at where it is binding. If using an air integrated wrist mounted computer the hose may be catching on the sending unit, or something along those lines.

Also since no one mentioned it...when switching to a long hose the reg in your mouth is the one you donate, then you switch to a backup either bungeed around your neck, or an Air II style inflater/octo. Much easier and safer way to do air shares.

If you're diving in Ow and want to try a long hose, consider 5 ft instead of 7 ft. The longer long hose is for overhead and restrictive environments where single file travel is necessary. The 5ft hose will rout the same way and be a better fit for most OW divers, and allow for the same air sharing benefits. A 5ft miflex hose *should* be pretty comfy. A regular 5 ft hose is.

I agree with the mouthpiece suggestions; try a seacure or some other mouthpiece that really holds the reg in place. I bet you feel a big difference. It's funny, mouthpieces are one of the few pieces of diving gear that have a direct and immediate impact on diving comfort, yet they're not taken too seriously by many divers.

I cannot recommend the Seacure mouth piece. It's too rigid for sharing air for one thing, secondly it can cause you some harm if you are not very careful putting it into your mouth.

I had one..... for a while. Never again.

I cannot recommend the Seacure mouth piece. It's too rigid for sharing air for one thing, secondly it can cause you some harm if you are not very careful putting it into your mouth.
While it may indeed be less comfortable for the receiver when sharing air, I've never seen anyone be unable to breathe because they had an uncomfortable mouthpiece. As for that specific mouthpiece, I see people sharing air (in classes and checkouts) with them all the time, so I have a hard time believing it's "too rigid for sharing air".

As for that latter point, can you expound? For the life of me, I'm having quite a hard time thinking about how one would harm oneself with a mouthpiece. I don't know of anyone who is "very careful" putting it into their mouth, and I've yet to see a mouthpiece-induced injury. Perhaps I've just been unbelievably lucky?

While it may indeed be less comfortable for the receiver when sharing air, I've never seen anyone be unable to breathe because they had an uncomfortable mouthpiece. As for that specific mouthpiece, I see people sharing air (in classes and checkouts) with them all the time, so I have a hard time believing it's "too rigid for sharing air".

As for that latter point, can you expound? For the life of me, I'm having quite a hard time thinking about how one would harm oneself with a mouthpiece. I don't know of anyone who is "very careful" putting it into their mouth, and I've yet to see a mouthpiece-induced injury. Perhaps I've just been unbelievably lucky?

Sure I can.

I'm not saying someone "can't breath" because of the Seacure but getting it in the diver's mouth is the issue.

The mouthpiece is so hard it can cause bruises on the gums and can even cut ones lip. I've seen that happen during an air-share. When someone needs air, they need it NOW and get quite excited to see the regulator in front of them, which means they are not being "very careful" trying to get some air.

The usual practice is to jam it in ASAP. That has resulted in the injuries I'm talking about. Not the best thing to do to an already panicked diver. Granted, not life threatening injuries. However, one needs not suffer any injuries by choosing a different mouthpiece.

As for me, same thing. Placing it into my mouth in a hurry caused a cut lip. The mouth piece caught my lip between my teeth and the mouth piece.

I also can't imagine using it as we were taught to do in a real rescue situation either.

I like to move my teeth and mouth around while diving, and found I didn't have that freedom when using the Seacure.

Again, those are the reasons I cannot recommend the mouthpiece..

[...]

Ah, that makes sense. Some of those details had not occurred to me, so thanks for the enlightenment.

(Personally, it's a moot point, as I love my soft, flexible Comfo-Bite mouthpieces, but it is always wise to learn everything I can, as people are certain to ask a DM sooner or later. :biggrin:)

Sure I can.

I'm not saying someone "can't breath" because of the Seacure but getting it in the diver's mouth is the issue.

The mouthpiece is so hard it can cause bruises on the gums and can even cut ones lip. I've seen that happen during an air-share. When someone needs air, they need it NOW and get quite excited to see the regulator in front of them, which means they are not being "very careful" trying to get some air.

The usual practice is to jam it in ASAP. That has resulted in the injuries I'm talking about. Not the best thing to do to an already panicked diver. Granted, not life threatening injuries. However, one needs not suffer any injuries by choosing a different mouthpiece.

As for me, same thing. Placing it into my mouth in a hurry caused a cut lip. The mouth piece caught my lip between my teeth and the mouth piece.

I also can't imagine using it as we were taught to do in a real rescue situation either.

I like to move my teeth and mouth around while diving, and found I didn't have that freedom when using the Seacure.

...yeah, I'd heard the reason Seacures are so expensive is most of the price pays for product liability insurance....so many air-shares with them have gone haywire I think! :D

...by the way Randy43068, according to your profile, you don't have a C-card yet ??? :11:

Without seeing it, after all this discussion I'd have to see it in real life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom