How Do Divers Travel With Gear and Video Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people have talked about shipping gear to destination. Probably just reliable for US destinations. Probably ok for scuba gear would not trust my camera gear.

I make sure I only go to tropical destinations so I just need a few clothes (shorts and t-shirts). I'm just a dive bum so I have no "image" to maintain! That gives me more room for my critical dive equipment. I'm lucky because I can carry on my housing (camcorder inside) and lights in a carry on so I only need to check the one bag.

However, if I'm traveling for long periods and moving from place to place, I usually don't bring my personal dive gear and just rent at each location.

Not a dive guru, but I have two bags as well. The scuba gear bag contains my fins, mask, snorkel - plus a giant underwater housing, camera and weights to go with it. All told, the scuba bag is 47 lbs. If it weren't for being a Platinum member on Delta - I'd be paying out the backside for the extra bag fee.

Even though the bag flys free - lugging around a 50lb bag can get annoying - especially if the trip isn't "dive only" and or you are traveling to multiple cities. I went to Australia and just got murdered in fees lugging this SBO from Sydney, Cairns, and Melbourne.

All this to say - I'm looking into one of those Liquid Scuba Diving Masks to decrease the weight when I travel.

Gear on a roller bag in Akona 9 lbs. bag with some shorts, batteries, T shirts, moskito repelent and sun blocker. A back pack as carry-on with enough space to put the video housing once cleared security inspectios. Knife stays at home for local dives.

When taking my personal camcorder....
I tend to pack my clothes and my dive gear (sans reg) into a large Kona roller. 2nd bag is a pelican case thats has extra room for misc in it besides the housing and lights. I can usually get both bags in under 50lbs. I never take weights with me, its actually cheaper to just buy new ones if I have to, although I try to rent. I have a smaller carry on with the actual camera in it and a backpack with my laptop.

When I'm taking the Red for a job...
I buy a second airline ticket. One carry on for the Red body, One carry on for the lenses. Check bags will have the housing, sometimes another for sticks, another for a head, an accessory case, and a personal suitcase/dive bag. I learned a long time ago that frequently its cheaper to buy another ticket then to pay $250/flight to cover extra bags, plus you get so much extra room and who really cares about the check in people thinking your crazy.

For a really big jobs, I'll ship out the gear via Rockit Cargo. They directly handle it and its insured so I don't mind sending gear anywhere in the world with them. A few times I've hired a PA or two just to deliver gear (and will be doing that next week to send some stuff to Nola from NY). They fly with some of it and I fly with some it, sometimes on different flights because I'll get them the cheapest flight I can. They're paid to wait. I'll take whichever flight I have to.

Another thing is that every now and then the airlines will run a promotion (they frequently won't tell you) where certain types of luggage is free. I've had a flight on jetblue from NY to Florida where surfboards were free (normally the oversize would run $50 each way). Twice so far I've found a promo where Dive gear was free. Sometimes you just need to call the airline and ask.

~Marque

I have been in Indonesia 2 weeks ago. We left our dive gear at home ;-) Reason: 37 kg for the EX1, housing, Explorer Case and accessories. Our clothes fit into one rucksack. So, we travel with absolut minimum to have maximum for cameras. If you have a baby they don't look very close ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom