how do dive clubs work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have never been a part of a dive club and wondered how things usually work with them.

I have never been a part of or in an area that has a dive club. Usually, there are just 1 or 2 shops in my area and you pick one and hang out with those people. The shop might organize and invite people on trips. You were dealing with professionals. I have never been on one of those kinds of organized trips because they are usually planning a year plus out and traditionally take longer vacations. The other side was they were usually at much nicer places than I stay at.

Fast forward to today and some of my friends who I have not been able to see for some time because of COVID invite my wife and I to join them on a dive trip hosted by their dive club. We spoke to the person on the phone who was organizing it to get more details. The details were a bit sparse and the cost more than our usual dive trips but we decided it was a great way to connect to some old friends. Our main concern was what would happen if it got COVID canceled. We were told that we would be out 200-300 per person but the rest would be refunded. We accepted that risk and moved forward. We sent a check and got a receipt from the organizer but never saw any paperwork.

As the trip nears, I am pretty convinced that the country we were going to be heading to will not allow us to enter because of COVID. Fearing this, I asked again about what would happen and wanted it in writing this time. While waiting, I reached out to the resort and was told to direct all questions to the organizer. The organizer got back with information from the resort that if it gets covid canceled, the trip will be rescheduled at a later date. I also kind of get a feeling from the email the resort also means that it has to be rescheduled as a "whole." Meaning that if it a trip booked for a group of 8 divers, then that is what will have to be used. How does that work if they select a time I can not get off?

Is this how things normally work? I was a little surprised that the resort would not answer my questions. I have had a bunch of different questions from the organizer because we are continuing to other countries after this time and have not really gotten good information. Like what time will we be taken to the airport to leave? Can we pick a time? I am unsure when to book my departing flight because of this.

Is this normal with a trip organized this way? Am I just too much of a control freak to take a back seat and let things happen? I would love any thoughts.

I have never been a part of a dive club and wondered how things usually work with them.

I have never been a part of or in an area that has a dive club. Usually, there are just 1 or 2 shops in my area and you pick one and hang out with those people. The shop might organize and invite people on trips. You were dealing with professionals. I have never been on one of those kinds of organized trips because they are usually planning a year plus out and traditionally take longer vacations. The other side was they were usually at much nicer places than I stay at.

Fast forward to today and some of my friends who I have not been able to see for some time because of COVID invite my wife and I to join them on a dive trip hosted by their dive club. We spoke to the person on the phone who was organizing it to get more details. The details were a bit sparse and the cost more than our usual dive trips but we decided it was a great way to connect to some old friends. Our main concern was what would happen if it got COVID canceled. We were told that we would be out 200-300 per person but the rest would be refunded. We accepted that risk and moved forward. We sent a check and got a receipt from the organizer but never saw any paperwork.

As the trip nears, I am pretty convinced that the country we were going to be heading to will not allow us to enter because of COVID. Fearing this, I asked again about what would happen and wanted it in writing this time. While waiting, I reached out to the resort and was told to direct all questions to the organizer. The organizer got back with information from the resort that if it gets covid canceled, the trip will be rescheduled at a later date. I also kind of get a feeling from the email the resort also means that it has to be rescheduled as a "whole." Meaning that if it a trip booked for a group of 8 divers, then that is what will have to be used. How does that work if they select a time I can not get off?

Is this how things normally work? I was a little surprised that the resort would not answer my questions. I have had a bunch of different questions from the organizer because we are continuing to other countries after this time and have not really gotten good information. Like what time will we be taken to the airport to leave? Can we pick a time? I am unsure when to book my departing flight because of this.

Is this normal with a trip organized this way? Am I just too much of a control freak to take a back seat and let things happen? I would love any thoughts.
This will be from a U.K. club prospective.

Each club should have it’s own T&Cs that covers things like dive trip cancellation. Generally, as a participant you’re expected to take out your own trip insurance.

The problems arise when a club member organises a trip, but not through the club. Then it’s a private trip.

We are fortunate in the U.K. that there is legislation requiring package trip organisers (commercial, club or private) to ring fence participants monies in the event of a cancellation.

interesting. Thank you for the insight and for sharing your experience. From what I understand, dive clubs are far more common and organized in UK/Europe.

Didn't some of them even issue their own dive certs a while back?
BSAC, SAA and ScotSAC are all club based and issue dive and instructor qualifications. My comments were about the individual branches of these organisations, not the organisations themselves.

Where are you supposed to be going? There is quite a bit of variation now among different countries as regards COVID requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom