• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How did you get into wreck?

Discussion in 'Wreck Exploration and Expeditions' started by dutybooty, Nov 20, 2008.

How did you get into wreck diving?

1. Teaching yourself?

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Off friends?

18 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. A wreck course?

27 vote(s)
    38.6%
  4. Other? Please specify.

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. dutybooty

dutybooty Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hey,

Now I'm not asking for opinions on what to do. I already dive wrecks with reasonable amounts of penetration (50m ish) but I'm interested in how people got into wreck diving?

Did you teach yourself?
    Take a course?
    Learn off a friend?
    Or other? Please specify

Myself, I was a combination of all the above. I started off teaching myself. Figuring out reels were a good idea and following a roughly hogarthian gear set up due to what I'd seen/heard about. Then I started tagging along with more experienced wreck divers who showed me little tips, but when they'd realised I'd never been a course, they cajoled me into going on advanced wreck by TDI.

What about you?

Anway, gotta go, I'm on duty!

Dutybooty.

2. jscott099

jscott099 Instructor, Scuba

Went with others initially (that knew what they were doing). This was easy since I live near the NC coast. Later took a specialty class for deep and wreck. Starting penetrating with other experienced divers. Did even more after cave training and deco training. So it was a gradual process of increasing training and skill to match what I wanted to do.

3. Standingbear56

Standingbear56 Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    My 1st dive off of a EDB was on a wreck, I liked it, and I just kept doing it.

4. southjerseydiver

southjerseydiver Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    well i wanted to dive and lived in jersey. the only smart thing to do would be to dive the huge amount of wrecks right off shore.

5. jupitermermaid

jupitermermaid Divemaster

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I took a course and was very disappointed. We never penetrated, and when I took my AOW course later (with a different op), I laid my first line. I learned more from that one dive than the entire wreck course. :shakehead:

6. Divin'Hoosier

Divin'Hoosier Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I took a wreck course. I hope to eventually take advanced wreck as well.

With the right instructor, a wreck diving course can be valuable. It can also be a waste of time. Interview several instructors and select wisely.

7. Nailer99

Nailer99 Solo Diver

How did I get into wreck?

-I saw hole in wreck

-I swam into hole..

:D

Just kidding, sort of. I started diving in order to go see shipwrecks- it's what I wanted to do in the first place. I've been focused on it from day 1. I've never taken a formal "wreck penetration" class, and at this point, I don't know if I ever will- I'm doing everything I really want to right now. But if I start doing stuff with extensive penetration involved, I might consider it....

8. dutybooty

dutybooty Angel Fish

You sound like me when I started doing a bit of penetration!!!

Until you've had a blackout though (admittedly, my fault, the story won't be told here!) or experienced something going wrong, you will realise how useful they are!

Anyway, gotta go, I'm on duty!

Dutybooty

9. DA Aquamaster

DA Aquamaster Directional Toast ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    The first real wreck I ever dove or penetrated was in 1987 - a sunken tug named the Haisch. That was enough to motivate me to take a wreck course. At one point I planned to take advanced wreck and while waiting for that I took cavern and intro to cave. As a result, I will not bother with advanced wreck as the line work is already covered the the remaining differences are academic and/or common sense in nature.

10. Rick Inman

Rick Inman Advisor ScubaBoard Supporter

Just finished a wreck Penetration class this fall in the St. Lawrence river. I took it because I wanted to go inside the Jodrey -which I did! :D