How did you convince YOUR spouse to start diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband was certified at 13 (way back in 1971). He only dove a few times as a teenager. We got married in 1978 , had kids, lived life, etc, but on occasion he would talk about his scuba adventures of old. We have always been the "one flesh" kinda couple and I knew he would never dive much without me.

He never asked me to scuba. In fact he was surprised when I brought it up.

A year into our empty nest I decided it was time. I really had no desire to scuba, but I wanted to do it for him. So at age 49 after 31 years of marriage I got certified. (and my hubby got rcertifed..it had been almost 40 yrs) . I dont "love" scuba like he does. He would go every weekend if we could. I would like to limit it to once a month or so. I dont hate scuba, but I dont love it either, But I DO love him and am willing to do it for him.

Even though I do it for him, I really dont see it as a sacrifice. I like being with him. I like seeing him enjoy things. He is always doing things for me, it the least I can do.

I do think some women would be more successfully if they take it slower. It took me more time just playing around at the 10' ft platform before I was ready to go to the 20' foot platform. I was a slow starter, but my husband didnt push me, I felt like I was slowing the class down, so I got private lessons. That was more than a year ago, now I have more than 25 dives. Scuba is fun ahd I always enjoy it, but to be honest.... I could take it or leave it on most days.

Oh and dont tell him any of this....it would spoil his fun.

I wonder if PADI offers an "Underwater Dancer" course?

Some friends of my dance instructor:

Of course, with some of the people I see certified up at the lake I would think that the PADI (and other agencies) require the "Underwater Dancer" cert before the diver can learn to become neutrally buoyant. I certainly see enough divers "Riverdancing" and waving good-bye to the viz.

Last edited:
My daughter was just certified. There were about 6 in the class. First question out of the instructors mouth: "Who doesn't want to be here?" He went on to explain that the quickest way to get yourself or someone else hurt or dead is to learn to dive because someone else wants you to. It has to at least be your idea he explained, or you will be doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Over simplification? Maybe, but there is some good advice there. I would love for my wife to dive with me and my daughter. She has no interest and it scares her when we go. I would rather she be on the surface scared than with me or my girl at 60' etc. etc.

Let it be, or at least let it be her idea. Just my .02

J.

Some friends of my dance instructor:

Of course, with some of the people I see certified up at the lake I would think that the PADI (and other agencies) require the "Underwater Dancer" cert before the diver can learn to become neutrally buoyant.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I had not seen this video before....it is a riot!!

I'd see if she were willing to read some of the posts from people with reservations about diving here on Scuba Board. I'm willing to bet she has one of the main fears about diving that is keeping her from considering it. Ears won't clear, will panic, etc. If she can see that many before her have had the same fears and then found out how unfounded they were, that might be enough to at least get her to consider a discovery dive or take a pool session or two. Good luck and congrats for being in the Over 20 Club. We are a rare breed these days.

These are GREAT stories! Love reading them. Lots of difference between people.

She told me last night that she might be interested in learning "ballroom dancing". :dance::banana: Huh? I don't have a coordinated bone in my body!
I think she is backing me into a corner! LOL! :hm:

I'm in the same boat as you. Personally, I would exchange learning ballroom dancing for attemping scuba certification. What do you have to lose other than your pride.

Good diving, Craig

roflmao, great thread!

I convinced my (then future) wife to take up diving so I could plan a honeymoon to Truk Lagoon. Took a couple of years head up cuz I wanted her to get certified, get in at least 25 dives and feel comfortable diving with me before I made her drop to 125' on our first dive....LOL

Back
Top Bottom