How did water get into my inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright I'll try to find one of those valve tools locally to tighten it, if it is not fixing the issue, I will be a very sad boy.

It should not ship like that!

A question that need to be asked:
Are these actual Miflex brand hoses, or are they another brand of braided hose? (Not uncommon to hear all braided hoses called Miflex, even though that is a specific brand and not a generic name)

They are original Miflex Xtreme LP Inflator hoses.

Quick update, I could not find a valve tool long enough at the local car shops to buy, but went to a tyre shop that had one and loaned it to remove and retighten the valve until it was tight enough to hold a mild suction, but would still leak a bit when sucking hard.

Back at home I connected/disconnected the hose from my BCD twice and did another vacuum test - lo and behold - it leaked very easily again. So, the second hose I bought came already leaking without ever trying to connect it to the BCD, and then even after being tightened to a satisfactory (not perfect) level, started letting plenty of air through again after being connected a couple of times.

My conclusion is that they are just unreliable. I've also seen plenty more instances of these leaks happening to others when googling.

I just installed the Scubapro rubber hose that came with the BCD, which is 15cm longer than ideal unfortunately, but at least it holds air absolutely tight.

Back at home I connected/disconnected the hose from my BCD twice and did another vacuum test - lo and behold - it leaked very easily again. So, the second hose I bought came already leaking without ever trying to connect it to the BCD, and then even after being tightened to a satisfactory (not perfect) level, started letting plenty of air through again after being connected a couple of times.
Sounds to me like the fitting on the LPI is not playing nice with your Schrader valve. Sometimes when the hose is attached to the LPI, the clearances are such that the Schrader valve gets messed up, especially if you rotate the hose on the LPI fitting.

Mswitch the SP core into the Miflex and see what happens, if you contact them they may replace the hose or at least the core.

I'm embarrassed to admit I did this, about 10 years ago I was wanting to start diving again after not having gone for a few years. I thought I checked out my old gear reasonably well, inflated and deflated the U.S. Divers BC and it seemed good. My first dive that year was an easy check out dive off my boat in 30' of water. There were a few small issues but generally things went well. Ended the dive after about 25 minutes, when I tried to climb up the boat ladder I couldn't believe how heavy I was, it turned out the BC was 75% full of water, but it still appeared to function somewhat normally, the 25% capacity remaining was enough. It seemed I should have been able to tell before the dive that there was such a serious malfunction but I had no idea until the end of the dive.

Back
Top Bottom