How did water get into my inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just experimented with the hose and it lets water in! So the good news is that it did not come through the first stage (unlikely because of the tightly sealing cap and the way I rinse it) and likely stayed out of it because I keep it above the hoses when drying and storing. When unscrewing it I also felt like the water came from the valve end of the hose because I did not see any until it seeped out once it was flying flat for a bit.

So I just held the screw-in end of the hose above water and submerged 3/4 of the hose, playing around with the connector underwater for a bit. I then took the hose out, dried it off externally, tipped it over and a whole heap of water splashed out.

This surely can't be normal for that valve? I've got a Scubapro rubber inflator hose flying around that I may try also to compare. I bought that Miflex in December and treated it well. Now I am wary of rinsing the brand new one I just connected :eek:

Sounds like the spring on the Schrader valve is broken. I would replace the hose.

R..

Or spend $3 and get a new Schrader valve. But compare the two valves for length and shape before switching.

$3 for a schrader valve?

Go to a bike shop and ask for some punctured schrader valve tubes and recover the internal valve from the tubes that look relatively new. Or go to a tire shop and ask if they have any, they will probably give you a small handful for nothing.

Some schrader valves have a flat bottom, some don't....it doesn't really matter that much...I took the valves out of multiple LP inflator hoses recently to see what is in them and some had both ends pointy and some had one flat end....if the valve screws in and the inflator functions all is good.

-Z

Of your local car mechanic .I got both the tool and a handful of valves for $5

The maintenance of the valve and o-ring of the inflator hose is an often overlooked task. I just replaced the valves and o-rings on a couple of leaking hoses belonging to a club I am a part of. They were going to buy new hoses when it needed about $00.20 in parts that are readily available.

Here is a link to a discussion that took place last March....scroll to post #15 and you will find directions for making and using a simple tool to facilitate installing a new o-ring in the QD end of an LP inflator hose. I taught the president of the dive club I am a part of how it works over a beer after a dive a couple of weekends ago and he was amazed how easy it was for him to get the o-ring in and seated:

The only thing I have changed is I am using a nail with the sharp tip cut off instead of the machine screw mentioned in my directions.

Replacing power inflator hose o-ring

I will look into making a video of the tool and process this weekend. But don't hesitate to contact me with any questions if anything needs to be clarified in the instructions.

-Z

Of your local car mechanic .I got both the tool and a handful of valves for $5

I think I bought my valve driver tools on ebay for $1.00 for 2 a few years ago. I kept one and gave the other to the club I was a part of at that time.

For anyone interested, here is one similar to what I got that is selling for less than $1.00 with free shipping:

New Bike Tire Repair Tool Schrader Gas Valve Screwdriver Nozzle Removal 827049632944 | eBay

The tool is plenty sturdy as this is screwing/unscrewing a valve core is a very low torque application and it is not a tool one would use every day outside a shop environment.

-Z

A couple more things:

1. if you can only find schrader valves with 2 pointy ends like the first picture below and you need/prefer the flat ended ones like the second picture...you can take a dremel to the end of the valve to cut/grind the point flat.

2. Don't get hung up on the color of the sealing surface, it really makes no difference in diving applications. This is color only makes a difference when used as a positive stop valve in a system where chemicals will come into contact with the valve...like I said, not an issue in diving applications for an LP inflator hose.

upload_2019-2-27_10-19-53.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_10-17-49.jpeg

-Z

You see soaking without your gear under pressure on a tank whilst purging
that permits the moving mechanisms to move and disgorge
is like showering out of a bucket with a cotton bud

Hi Divectionist,

I am with Happy Diver on this side bar. My regs don't get immersed unless under pressure.

A leaking Schrader valve would be detected while flushing out the hose if water was in it (while under pressure).

YMMV,
markm

Thanks for your info Zef, it will be for future reference only as I already have a new hose attached (unrelated to the leak) for now.

Hi Divectionist,

I am with Happy Diver on this side bar. My regs don't get immersed unless under pressure.

A leaking Schrader valve would be detected while flushing out the hose if water was in it (while under pressure).

YMMV,
markm

I like the theory as well, but I am doing 90% boat dives and rent the tanks from the operator. The setup and tiny rinse tanks on site of the local guys here don't allow for the whole rig to be rinsed under pressure, so I usually give my stuff a quick dunk and then rinse/soak my gear properly at home. I am being as careful as I can by only rinsing the 1st stage with the end of that threaded cap forming some form of seal with the O ring that feels secure enough (pretty tight actually) not to worry about running water entering the 1st stage, then soaking the second stages for a while in warm water with the 1st out of the water and above them, with the inhalation effort knob on the 2nd closed, and staying well away from the purge buttons. The 2nd stages stay below the 1st throughout drying and even when storing it in my reg bag until the next dive. It's an MK17Evo so sealed and does not need to be submerged.

If I just rent a tank and can bring it home it's a different story, and if I go for a pony at some stage I will have a permanent solution to this problem, until then I do not have the luxury of pressurised post-dive care for most of it.

I will certainly mistrust that schrader valve from day one now and add another pedantic step to the rinsing process.

Just send me those untrusted hoses.

What is going on with these trash Miflex hoses?

I just put the screw in cap onto the 1st stage and sucked on the 2nd stages, air rushes in through the brand new Miflex LP inflator hose, enough to sustain bloody life.

If I plug it with my thumb, it is airtight.

What a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom