How deep in Belize's Blue Hole to see the Stalactites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We spent a week in BZ and did the hole. we called it bungee diving: down to 157' for,like, 5 minutes and then 30 minutes of decomp in shallow water. Everything on the dive starts below 130'. Huge stalagtite swim through. no life. at about 150', tho, you are narked as all hell. everything is slow motion, including the divemaster who turned back over his should, waved his hand to beckon me and then turned back so slowly (it seemed) that it took 5 minutes just to complete the gesture. seemed funny at the time, but hell, i was narked.

wouldn't do it again, but glad i did it once. makes a great dive story for the boat.

Dandy Don,

In late May 2003 Protech Belize on Ambergris Caye was routinely supplying 28% O2 EAN for Blue Hole dives - they indicated they would have 28% O2 EAN "mass-produced" along with the 32% O2 EAN and 36% EAN as well as Grade J air for their customers. We did our all-day Blue Hole trip on the Amigos Del Mar dive boat, but used 28% O2 EAN for 137' achieved depth in the Blue Hole with no problems. We used 32% O2 EAN for our other 2 dives that day. All our EAN was purchased from Protech Belize and transferred to the Amigos Del Mar boat. There was a little mix-up between shops on logistics, but we sorted it out the morning of the trip before leaving the dock. We were the only folks on the Blue Hole boat diving Nitrox, and the DM's were saying they thought ADM would soon foray that way, but none of them were yet certified for Nitrox. Protech Belize was refitting a large boat for Blue Hole trips at that time too, but said it would be several months before it would be ready. We did all our other diving through Protech Belize directly on Ambergris Caye, who had great DM's and boat crews too - the front office staff had some confusion, but I find that common enough in the USA much less outside it. No telling what's happened in the intervening year, but if 28% EAN for the Blue Hole is what you're looking for they were the only provider of such we were able to find.

Enjoy your trip! PM me if you'd like more details / specifics. We really enjoyed the whole vacation trip (10 days) we took last year.

Nitrox 28%, 32%, and 36% are standard mix for us, and they are always available. Our Nitrox Price is lower than most dive center in the USA. We will supply it to any dive center.

I am planning of offering free Nitrox 30% or 32% from May 1 to Nov 1 to divers that are signing up for 5 days of diving with us.

Roni Liberman
Protech Belize
Training Director
IANTD Trimix Instructor Trainer Trainer (ITT)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom