How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver:
What table were you on? Did you do a Deco stop? What was your average ATA at depth?

he meant to say he was standing in air on the surface of death valley.

kind of like New Orleans....below sea level:eyebrow:

muddiver:
What table were you on? Did you do a Deco stop? What was your average ATA at depth?

I used the AAA TripTik table. Our Deco stop was Bill's B-Q Bar and Grill. Our ATA was somewhat reduced as we continued to top out in Mamouth Lakes.

Dave

Teamcasa:
I used the AAA TripTik table. Our Deco stop was Bill's B-Q Bar and Grill. Our ATA was somewhat reduced as we continued to top out in Mamouth Lakes.

Dave

:rofl3:

A Chanster:
Since I only dipped down to 54m for 1min then returned to 40m for 8mins then made the slow ascent finishing a 6 min 20m deep stop then extra 3min (more than needed) deco stop with nearly a third remaining on my single tank, I feel I was diving within acceptable limits knowing that my extremely experienced tech buddy was always within 2m distance at most.

Logic like that has a track record of getting people killed:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=166222

135ft. The deck of the USS Oriskany. There wasn't much to see there.

I took a pic of me standing on the deck.
fins.jpg

And another of divers above me.
updeck.jpg

Just did my deepest dive last Friday. 134 Ft. to dive the "Devil's Throat", Punta Sur, Cozumel.

A Chanster:
When it comes to penetrating the cave, even thought its only about 15m in, we will have doubles 12L air, 5 lights for 2 divers, halcyon BC's, serviced apex regs, support station and experienced fun divers hanging around the wall between 30 and 35m above. It would be more dangerous to run a line due to the cave being short and narrow and even with no vis can feel back out because the cave quickly ends in a small room.

Ok, I really really have to comment on this again. You obviously either
1) have no cave training and are violating *4* of the 5 rules of cave diving

or

2) are ignoring *3* of the 5 rules of cave diving

Continuous guideline, 3 lights per diver, depth (too deep for air because of narcosis), and maybe (likely) training. That doesn't make the odds very good for you. Hopefully you know how the rule of thirds works and at least stick by that.

A Chanster:
Why you asked...well I already explained that.
Since I only dipped down to 54m for 1min then returned to 40m for 8mins then made the slow ascent finishing a 6 min 20m deep stop then extra 3min (more than needed) deco stop with nearly a third remaining on my single tank, I feel I was diving within acceptable limits knowing that my extremely experienced tech buddy was always within 2m distance at most. My D9 only warned me of deco and no ascension warnings. In the event of free flow or blocked reg then at any time we would of shared air and ascended. There were other divers around in same group, who did not go deeper than 35, at deep stop and deco stop locations too. That plan is a bit more than wearing swim trunks and flop flops to everest.

Are you trying to say one should not go below 50m with just one air 12L tank? (28c water temp, 15m vis, little to no current)

When it comes to penetrating the cave, even thought its only about 15m in, we will have doubles 12L air, 5 lights for 2 divers, halcyon BC's, serviced apex regs, support station and experienced fun divers hanging around the wall between 30 and 35m above. It would be more dangerous to run a line due to the cave being short and narrow and even with no vis can feel back out because the cave quickly ends in a small room.

I do appreciate your concern and will take that as a warning rather than as an insult implied by the tone. After reading many of these thread posts I will take more time to consider what I am doing.

Chanster -

Before you try this dive, please seek formal Cave training and tec training. This is no place for a trust me dive. Soggy is right, your plan is not up to snuff for this dive.

132ft on purpose, just quickly to see what the 40m recreational limit was like. Then an extra 5ft to 137ft to grab my narked buddys tank valve and drag him back up before we ran out of air :D

Edit: That was the worst dive experience I've had. Deep does not equal fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom