How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

132' at the Blue Hole in Belize cuz that's where the cool stuff is, and 130 at Devil's Throat in Coz., cuz that's how deep it is. 126' for my deep diver cert., cuz that's what my instructor wanted me to do.

I won't dive deep just so that I can say that I did, only if the planned dive requires it. I prefer those nice long 75-80' dives in 80 degree water.

175' / 54m on 12L air single tank with 6cf EAN32 pony for deco not bailout. Reason is to practice for future short cave pen which opens at 47m into a small room which has never seen the light of day. Special fish live there which when you show your torch, they start to emit their own lights becuz they think its mating time. I want to see that underwater Galaxy. Call it ego, call it stupid, call it what you want. I will say that I have been training up for this for what will be 2 years and with a tech diver instructor. I will have a very tight plan, support station, right buddy and of course training/experience how to use the equipment needed.

Final thought: DO PEOPLE CLIMB EVEREST FOR THE VIEW?

73' on a wreck dive in Lake Michigan. I'll be extending that this year to around 115' first on some tune-up dives and then on another Lake Michigan wreck.

282 feet below sea level - no tanks

Death Valley

Dave

A Chanster:
175' / 54m on 12L air single tank with 6cf EAN32 pony for deco not bailout. Reason is to practice for future short cave pen which opens at 47m into a small room which has never seen the light of day. Special fish live there which when you show your torch, they start to emit their own lights becuz they think its mating time. I want to see that underwater Galaxy. Call it ego, call it stupid, call it what you want. I will say that I have been training up for this for what will be 2 years and with a tech diver instructor. I will have a very tight plan, support station, right buddy and of course training/experience how to use the equipment needed.

A SINGLE tank to 175?! Why? And what good is 6cft of 32% for deco gas!? There's nothing wrong with diving to 175', but do it with the right gear and gases.

Final thought: DO PEOPLE CLIMB EVEREST FOR THE VIEW?

No, but they usually don't climb everst wearing swim trunks and flip flops...

Best of luck to you...

Why you asked...well I already explained that.
Since I only dipped down to 54m for 1min then returned to 40m for 8mins then made the slow ascent finishing a 6 min 20m deep stop then extra 3min (more than needed) deco stop with nearly a third remaining on my single tank, I feel I was diving within acceptable limits knowing that my extremely experienced tech buddy was always within 2m distance at most. My D9 only warned me of deco and no ascension warnings. In the event of free flow or blocked reg then at any time we would of shared air and ascended. There were other divers around in same group, who did not go deeper than 35, at deep stop and deco stop locations too. That plan is a bit more than wearing swim trunks and flop flops to everest.

Are you trying to say one should not go below 50m with just one air 12L tank? (28c water temp, 15m vis, little to no current)

When it comes to penetrating the cave, even thought its only about 15m in, we will have doubles 12L air, 5 lights for 2 divers, halcyon BC's, serviced apex regs, support station and experienced fun divers hanging around the wall between 30 and 35m above. It would be more dangerous to run a line due to the cave being short and narrow and even with no vis can feel back out because the cave quickly ends in a small room.

I do appreciate your concern and will take that as a warning rather than as an insult implied by the tone. After reading many of these thread posts I will take more time to consider what I am doing.

A Chanster:
Why you asked...well I already explained that.

No, you did not explain why you did a dive that required decompression with inadequate equipment.

That plan is a bit more than wearing swim trunks and flop flops to everest.

Not really. Clearly you have not a modicum of understanding of what could go wrong at those depths nor the narrow margins of your "plan." You were lucky. That is one of the dumbest "plans" I've ever heard. The fact that you were using a 6 cubic foot tank for "deco gas" is ridiculous. A 6cft tank is pretty much only good for an argon bottle. At a 1.6, the mod on 32% is 132 ft. It would last you a minute or two at best at that depth.

Are you trying to say one should not go below 50m with just one air 12L tank? (28c water temp, 15m vis, little to no current)

Really you shouldn't go below 40m or so with just one tank, and below 100-130 ft that tank should have helium in it.

When it comes to penetrating the cave, even thought its only about 15m in, we will have doubles 12L air, 5 lights for 2 divers, halcyon BC's, serviced apex regs, support station and experienced fun divers hanging around the wall between 30 and 35m above. It would be more dangerous to run a line due to the cave being short and narrow and even with no vis can feel back out because the cave quickly ends in a small room.

Do you have cave training? It sure doesn't sound like it.

I do appreciate your concern and will take that as a warning rather than as an insult implied by the tone. After reading many of these thread posts I will take more time to consider what I am doing.

It was a warning. Your plan sucked. You are lucky. 170ft is no place for a single tank.

Teamcasa:
282 feet below sea level - no tanks

Death Valley

Dave

What table were you on? Did you do a Deco stop? What was your average ATA at depth?

ok ok ok ...stop fighting girls!!

TRUCE!

ok...I agree that Soggy has an extremely valid point!

If I were Chanster staring at that underwater galaxy (when u actually do the dive), I bet I (and chanster) would end up overstaying the planned bottom time by at least 4 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom