How Deep does it really go?? - Aquariums & Environment.

How many of us have an aquarium?

• Freshwater

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Under 10 fish

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • More than 10 fish

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always had a fascination for Tanganyika chiklids. Here are two from tanks I used to have.

3739Prinsessen.jpg

Princess of Burundi

3739ZEBRA.JPG

Tanganyika Zebra

hageparty1.jpg

A part of my father's koi pond (cell phone cam, sorry)

Polly and George when they were younger (about 5 years ago) and slightly less ugly but no less obnoxious than they are today...George is the red one and the female and Polly is the pink one and happens to be male....yeah yeah I messed up...I named them before I got all my fancy fishy knowledge :blush:

I have a 10 gallon salt reef tank, 30 gallon fresh and a 1000 gallon pond.

Rick Inman:
...and if you put your face right up to the glass of my tank and look carefully, you can see my fish mouthing the words, "Thank you..."

:D

:lol: !!!

Edit: No tank by the way - would love a marine tank, but I fear I would kill off a lot of unsuspecting fishes with my laziness.

Rick Inman:
I have a freshwater tank, where most of the fish have come from the Amazon River. The Amazon River is a very hostile environment with a very high fish mortality rate, and if you put your face right up to the glass of my tank and look carefully, you can see my fish mouthing the words, "Thank you..."

:D
not "Obrigado?"

MaxBottomtime:
No aquarium. I don't support the taking of reef fish as part of my environmental awareness. :)
I don't have one yet, but I'd like to start a small saltwater aquarium for captured reef fish BECAUSE of my environmental awareness. Caribbean tropical juviniles often get caught in the Gulf Stream and deposited around Rhode Island, where the winter temperatures will kill them. I've often thought I'd like to rescue some of them and put them in an aquarium at home, but the New England Aquarium has trips to collect those fish for their displays, and I'd bet they'd be better off there than with me.

Environmentally speaking, I started a bacterial monitoring project for high school students. They canoe out and take samples from a series of locations on a local river, and then take it to the local water department facilities and analyze it for the presence of e.Coli and streptococcus bacteria. Over the past 15 years, the project has led to several illegal sewage outflows being shut down. Also, I pick up trash when hiking and diving, and when I smoke I throw my butts in the garbage, not on the ground.

MSilvia:
Caribbean tropical juviniles often get caught in the Gulf Stream and deposited around Rhode Island, where the winter temperatures will kill them.

We saw a butterfly fish the size of a silver dollar at 20' under a rock in October when the water temp was 50ish. Boy did he look cold, poor thing. That makes me wonder if the cold gets all of them though. Those silly groupers are actually listed as having a range up to the Cape in the Audubon fish ID book, which also makes me wonder. The dive club I belong to does collecting dives if you're interested in "rescuing" tropicals and if you call ahead the little NEA branch in Newport is supposedly happy to take them.

Damselfish:
not "Obrigado?"
Well, actually, now that you ask, they say, "Obrigado conservando meu butt de ser comido".

Rick Inman:
Well, actually, now that you ask, they say, "Obrigado conservando meu butt de ser comido".
"It obliged conserving my butt of to be eaten?"
gotta love babblefish.

"Thank you for saving my butt from being eaten?"

You read lips really well. :)

We used to have a saltwater aquarium when we lived just steps from the bay. It had real Texas bay water in it and we put the live shrimp we didn't use for fishing, the little crabs caught in the cast net and the little mullet. My favorite were the shrimp. It was so cool to watch them swimming around. The crabs were neat too. We kept the water right by replacing it with more bay water. (Sort of a mini natural habitat). Would like to do the same thing with fresh water and put a couple of baby perch in there. Don't live close enough to a fresh water source to do this though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom