How deep can you do a CESA and survive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See Charlie's post. The point of teaching exhaling isn't because you actually NEED to exhale, you just need to keep an open airway. That's it.

Charlie99:
The trick was to NOT to actively exhale or hum or aaaaah, but instead KEEP MY AIRWAY OPEN and let the excess air just kind of bubble out on its own.

The certifying agencies are taking a shortcut by teaching people to hum or aaaaaahhhhh all the way up, rather than teaching that what is important is an open airway, and then teaching people what that means.

Charlie Allen
Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!Folks you gotta read and re-read this post by Charlie99 if you want to understand this. It can't be said any better than this.

How about 600'?

Special equipment and special reasons, but it is still just about the same.

Attachments

• escape suit.jpg
    escape suit.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 144
My thoughts are
The inside of a sub is at 1 atmosphere.
So the diver is going to have to enter an escape chamber and effectivly descend from to 600 feet.
Thats going to take a while and some clever gas mixing we don't want an O2 hit before we even get out of the sub.

Ok we won't have much nitrogen build up as this will be a bounce dive and the added gas could be Helium.

The squeeze in that suit is going to be a problem, or do you close it at 600 feet. If so then gas expansion on the way to the surface is going to be a problem.

This is going to be a buoyant ascent, not a swiming ascent from the look of the gear.

600 feet at 120 feet per minute is 5 minutes. If it has the right mix of gasses it looks like there should be enough O2 to keep you consious for 5 minutes.

I would not want to be on this trip, however if this was the only way to the surface I think it might be survivable.

victor:
My thoughts are
The inside of a sub is at 1 atmosphere.
So the diver is going to have to enter an escape chamber and effectivly descend from to 600 feet.
Thats going to take a while and some clever gas mixing we don't want an O2 hit before we even get out of the sub.

Ok we won't have much nitrogen build up as this will be a bounce dive and the added gas could be Helium.

The squeeze in that suit is going to be a problem, or do you close it at 600 feet. If so then gas expansion on the way to the surface is going to be a problem.

This is going to be a buoyant ascent, not a swiming ascent from the look of the gear.

600 feet at 120 feet per minute is 5 minutes. If it has the right mix of gasses it looks like there should be enough O2 to keep you consious for 5 minutes.

I would not want to be on this trip, however if this was the only way to the surface I think it might be survivable.

???????????? Mix of gases ? Don't you just get out with a 1 atm lungfull of air and go up like a rocket ? Or have I missed the point ?

Charlie

Though I use the humming technique for CESA, please explain your airway method, more specifically how would you effectively teach it?

Brandon:
One of the four lettered training organizations says that CESA should be used for emergency ascents of 40 feet or less.

Practice it several times and you'll be able to do it from deeper depths.

And it's not the very last option - the very last option is to blast your inflator and hope for the best (the positive buoyancy emergency ascent) It'll get you to the surface, but it isn't going to be pretty.

I remember reading somewhere that "they have chambers to fix the bends... but they don't have a chamber to fix drowning"

-B.
They really need to stop teaching this nonsense. Chambers may fix the bends, but with an embolism, you may very well be dead before you reach the surface.

cudachaser,

I believe he was saying to let air out as the pressure builds up. Much like a burp, you feel the pressure building up then eventually you let it out. Same way, when you are ascending, the pressure in your lungs will build, as you feel that pressure building (maybe it'd be better before that feeling), slowly exhale and it will release the pressure.

(Does that make sense? :p)

Michael

ekewaka:
They really need to stop teaching this nonsense. Chambers may fix the bends, but with an embolism, you may very well be dead before you reach the surface.

When the alternative is to breath water what else can they teach you to do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom