How deep can you dive safely

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope,

Thanks for the link, I read several of the articles and they were very helpful and interesting. I would never have thought that diving to depths of only 100-120' might be a stiuation for using TRIMIX, but as I'm learning more about it, I can see that if the diver is properly trained using mixed gaes (besides NITROX, with which I dive now) it could add to the margin of saftey. While I do know a number of local guys (here in MA) that dive with TRIMIX, it seems a lot of them were certified out of state (FL for example) and that you will get some strange looks in LDSs around here if you mention mixed gas. Just my perception.

How deep can I dive safely? Well, I know my pacemaker is certified for 130 ft, so I pretty much stick to that.
As for Nitrox, I consider it whenever it's available. I rather like oxygen.

I rarely dive past 100'. I usually use nitrox for anything beyond single-tank training dives in <40'.

You can ask this question a hundred different times, and get a hundred different answers. Narcosis will set in and will affect everyone differently. Some of us go to 120-130+ and never feel a thing. Not to say we aren't experiencing it, we just don't have as evident a response than others. Some lose their minds at 80 feet. Stick to the training you got, whenever and wherever it was, and plan your dives appropriately. Nitrox will, as it has been said already, extend your bottom time, not your depth limits. Diving Nitrox will also result in shorter surface intervals, but in no way allows you to go deeper. Haven't messed with trimix...yet, but that is a whole other animal that you will find a wealth of knowledge on around here.

Long story short, stay within your limits, keep an eye on your gauges (or your computer...I always have both), and dive safely. We don't like reading or hearing about divers that have become part of the statistics because they chose to ignore their training, and pushed the limits to the breaking point. Not saying not to go deep, as the bigger sealife and cooler wrecks are generally down there, but do it responsibly. Nitrox is great for the shallower dives, and when training other divers, I see it is very commonly used by the instructors. Just be sure you review and follow the tables and charts designed for the varying levels of Nitrox.

I think, in the ten years since the original post, the poster has either gotten his information or no longer needs it :)

Way to kill the thread Doc :wink:Funny how we feel the sirens calling to answer a thread.

Diving is not "safe." Nothing is; there are only varying degrees of risk. If you have to ask whether or not something is safe, perhaps you have not done the necessary risk assessment, or perhaps you are ignorant of what you need to know to do the risk assessment. Either way, no one else can give you the answer to your question.

Capt my sediments exactly...A man has got to know his limitations...Since 1978 I've only been in one chamber and believe me you'll only want to make that trip once. Do the math it makes the difference between a good day or bad...Craig

Recreational limit is 130 feet. That's as deep as I'll dive, but like to stay around 100 ft or so. Nitrox might help extend bottom time but you flirt with being in deco the longer you stay at that depth. And since limit to deep diving is how fast you use air you can only dive for 25 min or so that deep regardless air or Nitrox.

Personally, I prefer to dive 60 minutes at 40 feet on reefs. Light is better, more things to see, unless going deep for something like a wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom