How dangerous is it to dive with a grossly oversized drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm *really* hoping that my weekend of diving isn't shot to hell.

Ordered a used Whites Fusion Tech from Dive Right in Scuba - SM/MD. Says right on the receipt. Had the P Valve installed. Paid for 2 day shipping to make sure it got here before Thanksgiving.

Get my suit today, I'm beyond excited. I put on the suit and even though this is my first time wearing a dry suit, I'm wondering why it's so big...

I take it off, and notice that it's an XXL/XXXL.

I was planning on diving this for all 4 days of Thanksgiving weekend. I just can't dive anymore in my wetsuit because it's just too cold and utterly miserable. And now I think my long weekend of diving is completely shot because I received the wrong size wetsuit.

You really want your drysuit to fit, particularly the length. Having the legs too long, can lead to the bubble migrating to the foot area and staying there. That or it will be much more difficult to get the bubble to move out of the foot area. Proper fit is essential.

-Mitch

In my opinion, I'd avoid diving in something that was that much too big.

The problem is that you will have far too much space inside the suit, therefore requiring quite a bit more air to offset the squeeze of the suit which in turn will create a much larger bubble to manage within the suit. Too large of a bubble could lead to a runaway ascent if it gets into the wrong place and you're unable to squeeze the air out.

If your profile info is correct and your logged dives are in that range, it may create a little too much task loading to deal with. Plus if you dive the suit, they many not take it back because it's been used.

When in doubt, sit it out. Whatever choice you make, please be safe! I wouldn't do it if it were me.

Reactions: L2m
I would just dive wet and tack on as much neoprene as possible. Throw some hot/warm water down the back of the suit before you dive and enjoy it.

Like everyone else said, a suit thats too big, will trap alot of air.

Don't do it. Especially since I think you mentioned in another thread that you were going to do some solo time. So not worth the risk.

Runaway ascents are a real danger in a drysuit. Don't risk it. Call DRI Scuba and get a replacement. Buoyancy in a drysuit is far more difficult to master than in a wetsuit. The air shifts position depending on your attitude position in the water, which can result in a runaway ascent. It occurs rather quickly and is not easily remedied.

C.

In my opinion, I'd avoid diving in something that was that much too big. ... When in doubt, sit it out. Whatever choice you make, please be safe! I wouldn't do it if it were me.
Good advice and I agree! The Whites Fusion is generally speaking, a forgiving suit when crossing sizes on the edge (MD to L, L to XL, etc.) However, SM/MD to XXL/XXXL is way too big of a jump. You will not enjoy the dive and as everyone else said, there is serious potential danger.

i wonder who is looking at his new sm/md over his comfy gut and thinking 'frack!' :D

i wonder who is looking at his new sm/md over his comfy gut and thinking 'frack!' :D
:rofl3: Nice visual. Think he'll post and ask if he should dive with the seals at his knees and elbows? Is there such a thing as a shorty drysuit? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom