How dangerous is diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have discovered that 100% of all divers are going to die.

In addition, 100% of all skiers will also expire at some point in their lives.

It's this life thing. In the end it's just plum fatal. NO ONE'S GETTING OUT ALIVE! :D :D :D

You can die on the couch.
You can die in your sleep.
Or, you can die doing something you love.

You can die prematurely leaving your offspring fatherless.
You can die prematurely leaving a heartbroken and grieving spouse alone for the final decades of their now miserable lives.
You can die for reasons that may have been avoidable, leaving those that know you frustrated and angry.

Let's make light of death... what's that matter of a few decades of life that you could otherwise have lived richly?! :) :) :)

Diving is more dangerous than skiing, on average. Measured in micromorts*, a day of skiing = 1/2 micromort, a scuba dive = 5 micromorts, a heroin dose = 30 micromorts. If you skip the heroin this week, you can do six dives and break even. :wink:

Understanding uncertainty: Small but lethal | plus.maths.org

*a one-in-a-million chance of dying. About 200 miles in an automobile, or 6 miles on a motorcycle.

That was interesting - thanks for the link.

Let's make light of death... what's that matter of a few decades of life that you could otherwise have lived richly?! :) :) :)

For life's a bit absurd
And death's the final word,
You must always face the curtain with a bow!
Forget about your sin,
Give the audience a grin,
Enjoy it, it's your last chance anyhow!
And always look on the bright side of life!!!

I don't fear death. I fear being afraid of living. If that makes me a bit cheeky towards death, then so be it. I don't take foolish chances, but I'm not about to sit home and cower in fear either. You can bet that I'll always look on the bright side of life and diving! (whistling as I write this...)

Damn you Net Doc! I now have that tune stuck in my head........:banghead:

To put it in perspective ... I got into scuba diving because I kept hurting myself playing basketball at the YMCA, and my wife told me I needed to find something safer to do. So I took up scuba.

Since making the switch, my injuries are much less frequent and much less severe.

So for me at least, diving is much less dangerous than basketball ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When people ask me I say diving is a dangerous sportconducted in a safe, controlled manner. So when you lose the safety and control (Ie. Proper training, divingwithin your limits, Safe functioning gear, Good dive buddy reparable shop/boatit becomes dangerous) the same can be said for any sport! Here in Alberta we had a death last weekend (noidea of the cause) and it’s all over the news! But the 2-3 deaths that happenevery month on Quads, Dirt bikes and ATVs never get mentioned!

For life's a bit absurd
And death's the final word,
You must always face the curtain with a bow!
Forget about your sin,
Give the audience a grin,
Enjoy it, it's your last chance anyhow!

I don't fear death. I fear being afraid of living. If that makes me a bit cheeky towards death, then so be it. I don't take foolish chances, but I'm not about to sit home and cower in fear either. You can bet that I'll always look on the bright side of life and diving! (whistling as I write this...)
Best bit of work the goons ever did in my opinion. bet ya can't sing it with the english accent like andy (devondiver) can.

We've done a lot of "chances of dying diving are so small compared to this other thing". Meaningless IMO. Plenty of good advice from experts here--"Don't dive beyond your experience level, etc." I would also say that it depends on what kind of diving you do. 20' in calm water solo? 100' in poor viz with some current getting down & up with a questionable buddy? What's safer? Best would be 20' in calm water with a dependable buddy. The risks will vary quite a bit.

To put it in perspective ... I got into scuba diving because I kept hurting myself playing basketball at the YMCA, and my wife told me I needed to find something safer to do. So I took up scuba.

Since making the switch, my injuries are much less frequent and much less severe.

So for me at least, diving is much less dangerous than basketball ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lets see.....

1972 - 1989
concussion: basketball
torn meniscus left knee: basketball
torn meniscus right knee: basketball
broken knose (4x): basketball
broken ankles (3x): basketball
broken finger (too many): basketball
arthritis everywhere: basketball

Scuba:

(1989 - present)