How come I've never seen a focus light on a locline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings-

I'm going with a new system... Isotta w/ a Canon EOS R6. Don't think that matters, but just in case.

One thing I've always wondered is why I never see any focus lights on something like a Locline. Is that because it's a moot point?

I've always had a problem positioning my focus light (a FixNeo 1000 DX) -- now, I should let you know that I'm using a Subal housing from 2008.

There's not a lot of positioning options, and it's a HUGE pain in the ass when shooting stuff like blackwater. I'm thinking of investing in a Kraken 4000 WRGBU so I can do more video. And I'd *really* like to have easier positioning for that.

So how come I've never seen a focus light on a locline? Is it a bad idea? Unnecessary? Not strong enough? Would it get in the way?

I have no idea why you haven't seen it. It certainly exists!

I have no idea why you haven't seen it. It certainly exists!
Good to know! I guess I don't hang out with the right folks!

There are two issues for using locline. Many (most) video folk use Locline but there are very nice locline adapters for most video housings. On photo-centric housings there is no really good way to mount a locline arm. We use these
1634519924840.jpeg
for attaching to the housing. Secondly you need a locline fitting on your focus lights; some have them some don't. For most dedicated focus lights locline are fine and strong enough. They make a bit of noise underwater but are lots more easy to adjust on the fly without having to turn anything.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom