How clear is lake rawlings??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really depends on when she goes & with how large of a group.
I have been there on a weekend during March with just a small group from VB Tech & we had probably 60+ ft of vis.
I have also been there on a weekend when there was several shops there with a large # of students & there would be times of nearly silt out conditions.

we had 50+ valentine's weekend...

Any "time" and the VIZ is at least 20 feet.
Even on busy Spring Saturdays afternoon and evening.

The sediment is fairly heavy and settles in a matter of hours. Therefore even on a Saturday with 100s of OW courses, you'll have decent visibility in the afternoon and a very pleasant night dive.

I dove there yesterday and the vis was aprox 80 to 90 ft as usual this time of year later in the year as temps rise the vis is usually around 40 to 50 ft if your not following classes around that stirr up the bottom

We had 48 degrees there a couple weeks ago.

Definitely dry suit or 7mm wet suit territory this time of year. By mid summer, it can push 80 degrees on the surface 70 plus above the thermocline and 65ish on the bottom. A 3mm works above 20-30 ft in the summer but you still need a 7mm wet suit or dry suit to go deep and stay for very long.

temps were varried by computer mine said 46 another said 48 so aprox in that range I would recomend a dry suit but the vis is fantastic

Keep an eye out for Chomp and Negro. Chomp is a crappie with a big hunk taken out of its back, sort of like a snapping turtle got it. The chomp is healed, and he swims around pretty funny. DA Aquamaster and I saw him last summer, and DA A and BabyDuck told me they saw him over Valentine's Day. Negro is some sort of mutant crappie. He is a crappie, but he is black like a Molly fish with really weird white eyes. He may well be a black crappie, but black crappie aren't all black, and he seems like some sort of mutant. Because he is so mutated, I wonder if he made it through the winter, although he looked like he was doing fine last summer. I'm heading to Rawlings the first weekend in April and hope to find them both with my new camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom