How can I tell if it is crushed or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100

Reaction score
I read some threads here about neoprene, trilam, crushed neoprene etc...

Is crushed neoprene made of the same material as the neoprene, is it just an extra process to make it "crushed"? 2nd question, besides asking the salesperson, how can I tell if the rubber-like material is crushed neoprene or regular neoprene?

Today is my first time trying dry-suit...

Another term you will hear is "hypercompressed". It effectively does the same thing.

One can tell if the suit is "crushed" or "hypercompressed" neoprene by its weight. It will be heavy.

the K

Thanks for all the info.
But the compressed neoprene seems like something I don't quite understand:

The thermal protect of neoprene material is actually provided by the trapped bubbles within. After we used the wet suit for years, the wet suit got thinner, and we were advised to get a new one, now either the crushed and compressed neoprene is doing something similar to the normal aging of neoprene. The neoprene is made higher in density (thus heavier) and the bubbles are made smaller... well?

The result is something warmer???

Carolina_Mike:
Crushed neoprene is term most used by DUI. They claim a patented process, which in fact, made them famous.

Here is the link to their website article on the subject:

http://www.dui-online.com/tech_crushed_neo.html

Well, it's not the fact that it has compressed that makes it warmer, it's the fact that the suit allows you to wear undies beneath it to stay warm and dry.

Neoprene dry suits are warmer than crushed neoprene dry suits which are warmer than laminate dry suits.

the K

the only company that uses crushed neoprene is DUI..don't believe any other claim that different manufacturer is crushed..it may be compressed but not crushed..good choice if doing abrasive type diving but gets heavy to carry especially when wet..if heavy duty suit not needed another choice to save $ and still have a durable suit is DUI cns suit.almost 1/2 price of crushed cf200 material

If it's not DUI, it's not crushed.

Crushed neoprene is not spongy and offers no better insulation than any trilam drysuit, due to the insulating bubbles being gone. The reason it's made is because it's extremely tough like traditional neoprene drysuits, but doesn't have the downsides of traditional neoprene drysuits (massive buoyancy and insulation changes with depth)

jonnythan, I'd have to disagree about the insulating qualities of crushed neoprene. I dove a DUI 50/50 suit last summer at their Demo Days, and I was absolutely AMAZED at how much warmer the lower half of my body was, and remained through the dive. Either they don't get ALL the air out of the neoprene, or the rubber itself has some insulating qualities.

TSandM:
jonnythan, I'd have to disagree about the insulating qualities of crushed neoprene. I dove a DUI 50/50 suit last summer at their Demo Days, and I was absolutely AMAZED at how much warmer the lower half of my body was, and remained through the dive. Either they don't get ALL the air out of the neoprene, or the rubber itself has some insulating qualities.
Really? Crazy, but not all that surprising. I'm sure it's way less insulating than even compressed neoprene, of course.. probably on the order of 2mm or so maybe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom