How can i get rid of backscatter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The clone tool or the healing tool will work well where the backscatter is on a solid background. However, if you have backscatter on a detailed area of the photo you may have to resort to another trick. If you can see the detail through the backscatter you may be able to enhance it by ajusting the levels ('Image\Adjustments\Levels' in PS 7). Because backscatter is, by nature, almost perfictly circular, use the circular selection tool to select just the area covered by backscatter. You may want to feather the edges a little to make sure it blends properly ('Select\Feather - I use 15 pixles for my feather). Then open the levels window and play with adjusting the levels of just that area

Before.JPG

After.jpg

fang_vv:
The clone tool or the healing tool will work well where the backscatter is on a solid background. However, if you have backscatter on a detailed area of the photo you may have to resort to another trick. If you can see the detail through the backscatter you may be able to enhance it by ajusting the levels ('Image\Adjustments\Levels' in PS 7). Because backscatter is, by nature, almost perfictly circular, use the circular selection tool to select just the area covered by backscatter. You may want to feather the edges a little to make sure it blends properly ('Select\Feather - I use 15 pixles for my feather). Then open the levels window and play with adjusting the levels of just that area.
Thanks Fang for the tip. I've got truck loads of good pics with bad backscatter to play with. I'll let you know how it goes.

discrepancy:
I'll let you know how it goes.

Please do. I'm keen to see whether this helps. Just some additional info on the tip. When you get to adjusting levels, use the combined RGB chanel and use the middle pointer on the histogram to adjust the levels. make sure you have preview selected so you can see the changes

Back
Top Bottom