How can i get rid of backscatter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aussie Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to get rid of backscatter from digital photos using Photoshop? I don't expect to be able to fix photos that are covered with it, but sometimes there's just a couple of bits in the way. Thanks,

Ryan.

Yes... use the healing brush tool in replace mode. In the example below the original image was too dark... but when I lightened it a ton of backscatter appeared. I used the healing brush tool to get rid of it.

Here is before:
Juvenile-Yellow-Eye-backsca.jpg

Here is after:
Juvenile-Yellow-Eye-Rockfis.jpg

This example was more extreme... at least in the amount of work it took to get rid of the back scatter. Again... I might not have the lighting levels exactly the same as when I removed the backscatter but it is as close as I can get right now.
Before:
backscatter.jpg

After:
Tube-Anenome.jpg

If using Photoshop try this:

http://www.adobeevangelists.com/uw/

Check out a sample snippet, "Removing Backscatter" and it will show a short movie explaining the action you dowload.

Work well with me. Then to make some quick adjustments the healing brush tool is also nice.

Ciao

If you don't have the healing tool you can always use the clone tool.

Aussie Diver:
Thanks guys. I've got photoshop 6. Where is the healing tool in that (if it's even in that version)?
As I recall, the healing tool was a PS7 enhancement. As Leesa mentioned, you can also use the clone tool. It will probably work best with a soft brush as it will blend the edges a little.

If the Adobe Evangelist's action is really only a CS version - I don't think it is - PM me with your real e-mail address and I'll send you a PS6/7 version.

The healing brush is a PS7 innovation. PS6 has the clone stamp but not the healing brush. PS CS2 has a new innovation called the spot healing brush. Uncle Pug, you would love this new feature. You can heal from the surrounding area without making a sample point selection. It is literally click and fix. I doubt Adobe was thinking of backscatter (unless Dan Brown was egging them on) but this new tool is perfect for the job.

The problem with the clone stamp in PS6 is that, if you dont sample right, your image ends up looking like a pegboard. Aussie, the healing brush alone is worth an upgrade.

---Bob

I'm just an PS Elements (Costco $89) user. :D Elements has the healing brush tools... and I think that spot healing is one of them. I'll have to check. With the tube anenome pic I actually had to rebuild missing areas by sampling a similar area and then copying. It took a lot of time to get just the right size sample areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom