How can I clean/restore a glass bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I found a glass bottle a few decades old under a pier the other night and I was thinking about cleaning it up for a keepsake. There's some crud stuck all over it- like sand deposit, some fungus-looking spots, and I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how I can clean it up and remove the dirt.
If anybody could give me any advice, I'd appreciate it!!
Also, are there any better forums I should post this on? Wreck Diving or something?

80% water mixed with 20% Murtatic acid. Always add acid to water and not water to acid. Soak over night or for two if needed. You should probably use gloves to stick your hand in the mixture although I tend not to but it does burn the skin a bit and you do need to wash it off fairly quickly. After that wash it down with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid and then wash it with soap and water using bottle brushes, nylon pot scrubbers, sponges. If it was found in saltwater then there may be a bit of a cloudy look after you clean it. You may want to tumble it if you want to get rid of the cloudiness.
Jason

In case you are wondering where to get Muratic acid, it is a common acid used to clean masonry. You can find it at almost any good hardware store or building supply. Lowes, Home Depot and the like.

If you don't want to bother with the muriatic acid, I had good luck with a three day soak in a bleach solution followed by a little light scouring pad work and detail cleanup with a razor blade.

Muriatic acid will be with the pool supplies. I would not
even think of putting my hand in a 20% solution of it.
Use SERIOUS rubber gloves, at least the "paint remover"
grade. And eye protection. And don't spill it.

Another option is Edfred tile cleaner. The active ingreedant
is a mild acid whose name escapes me (same as Naval
Jelly), and it's great stuff. Works on tile too. You can
get it at OSH.

Chuck

In the winter all we do is bottle dive so I always have a 50L Rubbermaid tote with a mixture in it. When it gets too dirty I use a couple of boxes of baking soda to neutralize the acid and then I find a safe place to dump it where it will not affect animals, children, and have minimum affect on the environment if there is still a hint of acid in the solution.
PS: I'm not 100% sure if this is the proper way so you may have to check local rules for disposal of the mixture. This is what bricklayers use to wash down the faces of bricks on site so I would think there is a minimal affect if exposed to the environment.
JK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom