How big is too big for a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DUI has 3 sizing levels.

Stock is just what it says, small, med, large... and defines the base price of the suit.

Select is basically stock sizing, but adds long and short version (3 times as many sizes) select upcharge is $200 over stock

Special Production is effectively cutom suit. Take 2 dozen measurements of your body and DUI builds a size ME suit. Upcharge is $400 over stock.

Select and SP also get choice of color and overlay pattern.

I am a big guy as well. Long in the torso, short legs and I could not get a drysuit to fit well enough to allow flexibility and range of movement. I contacted Whites Drysuit and they custom made a Catalyst 360 for me. Wow - what a difference it made!

Since then, Whites has introduced a Chairmans size Fusion suit that would have been perfect but I really don't need two suits. My lovely bride uses a Fusion and loves it.

See this thread:
subscribed.gif
"The Chairman": Whites Fusion now in a new bigger size...

I highly reccomend the BARE Nex Gen as an entry level suit. They have short sizes in both the suits and the undergarments for a near custom fit. I got my first one when I was 15, which if you've had any experience with teenagers, we don't take great care of things. Mine lasted about 5 years before the latex wore out and I upgraded.

If you have the money though, get a custom suit that will last you a long time.

For just a typical person who is a little shorter or something simple, what is the usual percentage premium over STOCK to go custom? 10%, 15%, 20%? Just a ballpark because I know it depends on a lot of factors.

If you pick the right brand, probably no overcharge at all.

Norther Diver has sizes, like "XL short", "XL desk-job-lard-butt" (my size :D), "XL Tall", etc.

The size chart is very accurate, so if you fit the measurements, the suit will probably be a good fit.

Terry

Hi there,

Before you buy anything, research the Whites Fusion drysuit! It is the only dive suit in the wrold that will give you a better than custom fit in a stock size. It is truly an amazing product and with only 5 sizes, the Fusion fits a weight range between 90-350lbs!

No only will the suit fit you properly, but it also the most flexible drysuit that you will find anywhere guaranteed. Don't take my work for it, do your research and try one on for yourself.

One more thing, you can pick up a complete Fusion package includung undergarments, boots, bag and socks for less than the price of most drysuits alone.

Cheers,

Justin

Drysuits are not cheap, therefore a custom sized drysuit is the best way to go.

Don't just settle for "small, med, large" etc.

X2

I found a drysuit that was great in the upper torso, but I have stumpy legs, so there was a LOT of room down there... not cool.

I got a custom from a local builder for about 200.00 more, upgraded materials, and it'll fit like it's sposed to.

I actually have a typhoon drysuit and have been happy with it. Only complaint is that the zipper sits kind of funny when it is zipped up. Curves up in a big upside down U shape. Not really a problem, but I wonder if eventually it will wear out quicker than other zippers from being deformed by my gear.

I know the men's suits come in a Medium Broad and Large Broad that are cut with a bigger chest which might help you. Check out their size chart Typhoon International - Size charts

I would recommend trying on a few of their suits at your LDS and if you get a good fit go ahead and buy it.

As far as the arm length, my suit's arms are probably a few inches longer than ideal, but it works fine. I have a good seal at the wrist so it just folds over a bit on the arms.

Hopefully your LDS has some good salespeople who will be honest about the fit and can help you.

As others have said you'll probably get a better fit with a custom suit, but for me the cost/benefit tradeoff made the typhoon suit worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom