How big is too big for a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterof0

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am relatively new to scuba, and am looking into a dry suit to supplement my wet suit. The challenge that I am having with all exposure suits is that I am very stocky and most suits seem to be cut for the "average" person which I fall outside of. I was able to find an awesome wetsuit that came in an XL-Short that fits me perfect, but in drysuits, that option just doesn't seem to be the case. If I get one that fits in the torso area, it is 4 or more inches too long in the limbs. If I get one that fits in the limbs, then it is too tight in the torso, and although I may be able to don it, if I were to have a set of thermals on, it would be too tight to zip or for free movement.

Two questions:
1) If I go with the XL that fits me properly in the torso and hips, but is too long in in the arms, how long is too long to be acceptable in a dry suit?

2) An LDS is running a special on Typhoon Suits. I have searched the boards/internet looking for information on them but can't find a whole lot. It is a great price for an entry level suit, but I don't want to invest if it is going to be a waste of money. So if there is anyone who has any experience with them I would love to know your thoughts.

I am actually quite curious about this myself. I am a big guy but I am tall with very large shoulders and a bit of a beer holder. I had a tough time finding a wetsuit that fit me peroperly and was told that to go dry (or even a new wetsuit) I would have to go custom. That pretty much turned me off right away because of the thought of cost. I have such a long list of things to buy before a custom made anything.....so I look forward to the reaponses.

Sounds like you're better off going with a custom suit - that will fit! DUI will do it, it will be top quality, but not inexpensive.

I can say I know what you mean. I am an XL with shorter legs and big arms. Makes for alot of fun suit fitting. From experience try not to get a suit that is too long in the legs, you will trap air and it doesnt do anything good for your trim. Especially if are getting a neoprene.
I have a bi laminate suit that is very baggy and it works well but unfortunately its wearing out.
I am looking at getting a Fusion....seems to be the solution for "the right fit".

A friend of mine has short legs. He sent his suit out and had it altered, they took the boots off, shortened the legs a couple inches and re-attached the boots. You have to be careful with your measurements and take into consideration being able to bend down or reach behind you with your arms. You don't want the suit TOO short.
Ber :lilbunny:

Check out DUI's size chart, which has an XLS (Extra Large Short). It appears to cut about 2" off the overall height, including 1" off the legs.

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/size_chart.pdf

Other manufacturers may offer similar variations.

I would make sure the torso fits you for girth when wearing the heaviest undergarments you expect you might use.

Extra length in the torso can be managed, especially with the telescoping torso designs.

Extra length in the arms and legs can also be managed quite easily by simply folding the excess over.

The risk of a boot popping off can be minimized by folding the extra leg length above the knee where it is unlikely to be pulled free. Perhaps gaiters would also help.

I wear a stock sized, regular length DUI CLx450 that's perfect for my torso girth when I'm wearing very heavy winter insulation. However, on me, it has excess length of about two inches in the torso, three inches in the legs and one inch in the arms.

The the excess in the torso simply telescopes over itself and I fold the excess of the legs over itself just above the knees. The excess in the arms is no problem at all.

All in all, the excess length in those three areas seems to provide easier donning and more range of movement.

It appears the only problem is with my fashion statement! :D

HTH.

Dave C

I am 6'2" and 300 lbs, with a 19" neck, 54 inch chest and belly, and no a$$. DUI was very happy to get my order for a custom suit. My wife bought an off-the-rack, which has been back to DUI to have the arms shortened. They like her cash, too. A drysuit that fits properly is essential for drysuit diving, especially when you are as big as I am, so it isn't a big air bag. Search many dealers for the right suit, or buy custom. Different manufacturers make suits to fit different body types. I wear a WaterProof wetsuit that fits off the rack, but nothing else fits off the rack anymore.

I second the advice to get a custom.

I have two definitions of "good fit"

1) Good enough to dive

and

2) Good enough to buy

I have a pretty solid set of DUI suits in my rental fleet, and I am able to put over 90% of students who are interested in trying a drysuit into one to do the initial training and a few dives to allow them to make the decision that they want to buy a drysuit.

Over 25% of these people who have already dove stock size suits end up going custom when they buy. I have yet to hear anyone complain about their custom suit.

Sorry, I guess this was a :hijack: so if the OP objects, I will take this to either PM or another thread. I reread the original post and realized it had nothing in about cost of custom.

------------------

For just a typical person who is a little shorter or something simple, what is the usual percentage premium over STOCK to go custom? 10%, 15%, 20%? Just a ballpark because I know it depends on a lot of factors.

I second the advice to get a custom.

I have two definitions of "good fit"

1) Good enough to dive

and

2) Good enough to buy

I have a pretty solid set of DUI suits in my rental fleet, and I am able to put over 90% of students who are interested in trying a drysuit into one to do the initial training and a few dives to allow them to make the decision that they want to buy a drysuit.

Over 25% of these people who have already dove stock size suits end up going custom when they buy. I have yet to hear anyone complain about their custom suit.

If you are a large person, then a drysuit is definitely the right choice.

Drysuits are not cheap, therefore a custom sized drysuit is the best way to go.

Stores offering bargain discounts are trying to empty their backlogged inventory, not fit you into a good suit.

So look around in all your neighborhood stores, find the style of drysuit that you like, then custom order one from the manufacturer. Ideally, this will involve measurements of your torso, height, chest, arms, neck, etc.

Don't just settle for "small, med, large" etc.

And don't let the minimum-wage store clerk talk you into anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom