How are the sea bass in 2006?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roflmao

Ran into two at the park last month!!!!

Saw a reasonable size one at Johnson's Rock at 70' on Sunday

Jerry

As HBRainManGirl pointed out to me this afternoon, the quote is, "Man, that's terrific bass..."

I wasn't buying it. So I did a little reseach. I should have known not to argue with her about this stuff... but here's the script, and a link to the original Super Bass-o-Matic '76 sketch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super Bass-o-matic '76

Spokesman ... Dan Aykroyd
Bass-Drinker ... Laraine Newman

Spokesman: How many times has this happened to you? You have a bass, and you're trying to find an exciting new way to prepare it for the dinner table. You could scale the bass, remove the bass' tail, head and bones, and serve the fish as you would any other fish dinner.

bass01.jpg

But why bother, now that you can use Rovco's amazing new kitchen tool, the Super Bass-o-Matic '76. Yes, fish-eaters, the days of troublesome scaling, cutting and gutting are over, because Super Bass-o-Matic '76 is the tool that lets you use the bass with no fish waste, and without scaling, cutting or gutting.

bass02.jpg

Here's how it works: Catch a bass, remove the hook, and drop the bass - that's the whole bass - into the Super Bass-o-Matic '76. [drops the bass into the blender ] Now, adjust the control dial so that the bass is blended just the way you like it. [turns blender on and grinds it to a pulp ] Yes, it's that simple!

Bass-Drinker: [drinks a glassful of bass ] Wow, that's terrific bass!

bass03.jpg

Spokesman: We've got fish here, fast and easy and ready to pour, mmm-mmm! Super Bass-o-Matic '76 comes with ten interchangeable rotors, a nine-month guarantee, and a booklet: 1,001 Ways to Harness Bass. Super Bass-o-Matic '76 works great on sunfish, perch, sole, and other small aquatic creatures. [blends one of each ]

Super Bass-o-Matic '76 - it's clean, simple, and after five or ten fish, it gets to be quite a rush! Super Bass-o-Matic '76 - you'll never have to scale, cut or gut again!

bass04.jpg

I just bought a nice 2002 Napa Valley Merlot and was wondering if it would go well with a blended bass?

Robert Phillips:
I just bought a nice 2002 Napa Valley Merlot and was wondering if it would go well with a blended bass?

With the GSB (pictured) I would recommend against the Merlot. As any bass aficionado knows, GSB (especially ones from the comparatively warmer regions of Southern California) have a distinctively sharper flavor than say, the Giant grouper, Jewfish of South Florida (cousin of our friend in the pic.)

While the Fruity berryness of the Napa Merlot may complement the South Florida Bass, it will get lost in the sharper, spicy, citrusy SoCal GSB.

It also depends on how the GSB is prepared. I hope you don't mind, but I made some recommendations for your consideration. Seeing as there is about 300 pounds of bass, laid out several courses. I would recommend inviting over, well, 60 or 70 of your closest friends.

For starters, Chilled GSB Ceviche would be excellent. I would recommend something a little more acidic, but with a sweeter overtone - nothing as grassy or citrus as a Sovereign Bblanc - something a little sweeter - maybe a nice chilled Viognier.

Then I'd move to a lightly grilled GSB salad over baby field greens with a light Vinaigrette pour Poissons, Crustacés, et Coquillages. Its my fav dressing for lighter seafood (GSB is on the edge of "lighter", but indulge me here...) For this, a wonderful, lightly chilled, but often difficult to find Piont Blanc would be my recommendation.

While others here may recommend a third course of the GSB, I prefer to get right to the grillin'. A gentle brush of Orange juice (NO LEMON), light soy sauce and white pepper before it hits the grill, and then at the turn works here. Some would advocate a caper sauce, or all that mango and pineapple tropical nonsense - but for me, its all about the fish and the flame.

I would serve over a bed of grilled pollenta (NO RICE) and steamed asparagus, with a lovely California Syrah (nothing younger than 2002... unlike the local Pinot's, CA Syrah really need to lose their tannins a bit to be the perfect complement for this big guy...)

So in review: Save the Merlot.

Of course, speating and eating this majestic animal is illegal and unthinkable. So go to Gelson's or Bristol Farms, grab something else and have a rockin' weekend with your Napa!

---
Ken

Ken... thought the Bass-o-Matic sketch on SNL was disgusting back when it first aired. It turned my stomach.

Back
Top Bottom