How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct, don't get me wrong electric cars might be good in the future (though I think hydrogen fuel cell is better).

First we need to decent power generation, get the battery issue solved etc.

Right now EV cost more financial, environmental etc. In every way nothing but a gimmick with a good smoke screen.

Why would a typical greenhouse have a high CO2 level? CO2 comes from either the respiration of animals (which typically do not live in greenhouses) or from burning stuff (which, hopefully, doesn't happen in greenhouses.)

Greenhouses are designed to help plants grow, but it has nothing to do with enhanced CO2 levels.

CO2 in the atmosphere causes a "greenhouse effect", but traditional greenhouses don't cause more CO2.

Sure in colder climates it could be cogeneration

I am shore diving, at the south end of Vancouver Island, 2 - 4 times a week. There are about a dozen sites within a 15 min drive from my house, and another dozen+ sites within a 60 min drive. I live where there is world class, cold water diving. Cousteau called the waters off Vancouver Island, some of the best cold water diving in the world.

Pushing public transit and bikes - that’s another of my pet peeves. I drive 40 miles round trip daily suburb to suburb. Public transit pretty much doesn’t exist far out in the Chicago burbs except for the commuter trains to downtown. Many areas in the US have no public transit at all. And pushing bikes in snowy cold climates? 🤦‍♀️
I think part of the issue is that it costs a lot of taxpayer money to get a good public transport.

I think part of the issue is that it costs a lot of taxpayer money to get a good public transport.
The United States is also a lot bigger and less densely populated than the United Kingdom. Within dense cities there may be excellent public transit options, but we are very spread out. As an example, Oregon, Wyoming, and Michigan are each about the same size as the United Kingdom. Louisiana and Mississippi are each about the size of England. New England is bigger than England and bigger than all of the United Kingdom.

The United States is also a lot bigger and less densely populated than the United Kingdom. Within dense cities there may be excellent public transit options, but we are very spread out. As an example, Oregon, Wyoming, and Michigan are each about the same size as the United Kingdom. Louisiana and Mississippi are each about the size of England. New England is bigger than England and bigger than all of the United Kingdom.
I lived only a few years in the NYC area and it was a long time ago (1999 to 2002). But I was surprised by the transport system being not so good in such a city, although I loved the energy of the city.

Had visited family in California a few times and was not impressed by the Los Angeles public transport.

Maybe it has historical reasons: it’s harder to fit a new transport system in a dense area. I understand that outside of large hubs it would be very costly to connect the hubs together due to the distance.

I found this link however and although I don’t know the accuracy of the data it says that NYC invests more per inhabitant than Paris, which is surprising to me since Paris (I am from Paris) runs a more dense network with the Metro, so maybe I am totally wrong. :)

Edit: forgot to say the transport system in the U.K., especially trains, is quite bad outside of London and major cities. They made the railway lines semi-private under Thatcher and you’ll have to pay sometimes almost 200USD for a train journey to Cornwall and you may do the drive faster by car. 😂

Back
Top Bottom