How an independent instructor can sell Mares product as authorized dealer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oly5050user

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It has come to my attention that a independent instructor in the Bronx NY is selling product for Mares and is listed as a dealer.How is this?? As far as I have seen there is no storefront,no compressor,I do not even know if they are listed with the state/city to collect any sales tax.I also know that the same individual received free DUI suits some time ago to USE for underprivilaged youths and it is only himself and relatives that use the suits.Or he tries to sell them off the make $ profit.That I know for a fact as he tried to sell one to the LDS I was teaching at the time(a small one that did not fit any of his crew).I am all for no profit to benefit youth ,if that is truly what you do,its not for myself,but to scam stuff is just wrong.
So Mares ,is this true or is there something that I do not know of?? He has no web presence and is not listed as a dive shop in yellow pages and in one seach engine I tried his phone # and location is listed as a barber shop.

For them to completely answer your question, I think they may need more info.
But I can't wait for the relply.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

have you contacted mares directly? have you confronted this person at all?

have you contacted mares directly? have you confronted this person at all?

Went to Mares site and there is no "contact us" that I can find.That is why it is posted here.
No need to contact the person.I know his name. I could be wrong on things at times,and I'll be the first to admit it if I am,but knowing this individual's past with the DUI incident,I would not put it past him. We had a young person that took a class from him in the store browsing yesterday and he told us he purchased his gear (a bcd)directly from the instructor.The name he is using on the Mares site is "Bronx Scuba." Only real facility in the Bronx to take classes is Captain Mikes on City Island.No other authorized facilities in the boro. I have no issues with an independent teaching ,but to have a distributor such as Mares make a sham out of what it requires to be an authorized dealer is wrong to all in the industry.The youth even informed us he used a dry suit in a ow class-borrowed from DUI at a DUI Demo day- before he even tried it in confined water/pool.The person is a PADI instr so that in itself is a violation of standards.
Did Mares visit the so called facility before making him a authorized dealer?
Are we going to return to the days of selling gear out of the car trunks?

It has come to my attention that a independent instructor in the Bronx NY is selling product for Mares and is listed as a dealer.How is this?? As far as I have seen there is no storefront,no compressor,I do not even know if they are listed with the state/city to collect any sales tax.I also know that the same individual received free DUI suits some time ago to USE for underprivilaged youths and it is only himself and relatives that use the suits.Or he tries to sell them off the make $ profit.That I know for a fact as he tried to sell one to the LDS I was teaching at the time(a small one that did not fit any of his crew).I am all for no profit to benefit youth ,if that is truly what you do,its not for myself,but to scam stuff is just wrong.
So Mares ,is this true or is there something that I do not know of?? He has no web presence and is not listed as a dive shop in yellow pages and in one seach engine I tried his phone # and location is listed as a barber shop.

In practice we do not discuss any dealers business in any public forum. I viewed your profile and it suggests you are a dive shop owner. I assume you would appreciate the same level of confidentiality.

I am happy to put you in contact with our district sales manager for NY if you would like to express your concern. Please send me a private message with your name and contact information and Jon will respond as soon as possible.

Best regards,

For them to completely answer your question, I think they may need more info.
But I can't wait for the relply.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Any and all information they need I can supply.Either here or on a pm..

Just did a reverse telephone # search of "Bronx Scuba"-number listed on the MAres site for this "dealer"....tel # 718 861 0500 comes up as "cutting edge scuba" and is listed as a barber shop with a net of $29,000. a yr and 1 employee.I guess you can get your hair cut as you sit thru a scuba class now..

In practice we do not discuss any dealers business in any public forum. I viewed your profile and it suggests you are a dive shop owner. I assume you would appreciate the same level of confidentiality.

I am happy to put you in contact with our district sales manager for NY if you would like to express your concern. Please send me a private message with your name and contact information and Jon will respond as soon as possible.

Best regards,

I am not a dive store owner.Was one a long time ago_Only concern I have is when I did open a facility we had to have a professional storefront appearance and compressor,teaching staff and a level of inventory ,along with any required local business licenses..Is it still not required? Jon can contact me via a pm here if need be.If a instructor can sell out of the trunk of their car I am sure many independents here on the board would like to join into it.No overhead,no rent to pay,no store insurance,no electric bill etc..

Just did a reverse telephone # search of "Bronx Scuba"-number listed on the MAres site for this "dealer"....tel # 718 861 0500 comes up as "cutting edge scuba" and is listed as a barber shop with a net of $29,000. a yr and 1 employee.I guess you can get your hair cut as you sit thru a scuba class now..

Oly,

As I suggested you are more than welcome to forward me your information and I will have our district sales manager contact you. I personally don't know this account you are referring to, internet and searches aren't always 100% accurate, and most importantly I will not permit the use of our forum to disparage any dealer, you included. Please contact me and I'll be sure you have the opportunuty to discuss this with Jon.

Sincerely,

Oly,

As I suggested you are more than welcome to forward me your information and I will have our district sales manager contact you. I personally don't know this account you are referring to, internet and searches aren't always 100% accurate, and most importantly I will not permit the use of our forum to disparage any dealer, you included. Please contact me and I'll be sure you have the opportunuty to discuss this with Jon.

Sincerely,

Zak; Truly not trying to disparage anyone here.Just a little info that I came across.Up to you if you wish to follow up on this with Jon. No skin off my back.Maybe this is something going on that you do not know of and would like to know more about.I do not know..
Again,I am not a dealer for any manufacturer.Was about 19 years ago and sold off the facility.Its still operating as of today. There is no other dive facility doing full time sales/training/repair/travel business in the Bronx except for Capt Mikes.You have the telephone # of the business in question and the alias that are being used for DBA ...its up to you and Mares if you wish to follow up on it.

Back
Top Bottom