How an independent instructor can sell Mares product as authorized dealer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys

I actually had this same problem and turns out you cant, well that is what I was told by Mares in an email from them.

I emailed Mares about the courses to be a certified tech for regs, they are running the courses at DEMA, and apparently you have to be part of a shop or get sponsored by one.
I actually understand this and why, but still an expensive pain in the back side for me.

To be honest this isnt a really good thing if you are an independent instructor with 12 Mares regs to service every year and at $50-100 a piece, you have to ask what is the use of instructing when your profits go to just reg service?

So to answer your question (in a very long winded way which has no real bearing on the actual question asked) on how can one be an authorised Mares dealer/tech, no they not allowed too.
You need to be a physical store front etc, as I was informed.

Hi guys

I actually had this same problem and turns out you cant, well that is what I was told by Mares in an email from them.

I emailed Mares about the courses to be a certified tech for regs, they are running the courses at DEMA, and apparently you have to be part of a shop or get sponsored by one.
I actually understand this and why, but still an expensive pain in the back side for me.

To be honest this isnt a really good thing if you are an independent instructor with 12 Mares regs to service every year and at $50-100 a piece, you have to ask what is the use of instructing when your profits go to just reg service?

So to answer your question (in a very long winded way which has no real bearing on the actual question asked) on how can one be an authorised Mares dealer/tech, no they not allowed too.
You need to be a physical store front etc, as I was informed.

What you were informed is pretty much standard from all manufacturers.They want/would like their product sold in a responsible,knowledgeable manner.So how this independent gets his product and is listed on Mares web site as an authorized dealer is beyond me..Again if I am wrong on all this I am very ready to apologize and say I am truly sorry.
Had a similar issue with Dacor when they were in business.Dacor rep repeatedly claimed they did not sell direct to Leisure Pro..That LP must be getting product under a table from a dealer or overseas.Well, I taught some of the Dacor office staff in Norwalk an ow course.I asked them about LP.Guess what ,they shipped direct to Leisure Pro address all the time,and that LP owed Dacor something like $50,000. at the time..

Zak; Truly not trying to disparage anyone here.Just a little info that I came across.Up to you if you wish to follow up on this with Jon. No skin off my back.Maybe this is something going on that you do not know of and would like to know more about.I do not know..
Again,I am not a dealer for any manufacturer.Was about 19 years ago and sold off the facility.Its still operating as of today. There is no other dive facility doing full time sales/training/repair/travel business in the Bronx except for Capt Mikes.You have the telephone # of the business in question and the alias that are being used for DBA ...its up to you and Mares if you wish to follow up on it.

Zak; I am sure independent instructors and facilities would be interested in the outcome of this.Did you find out about the independent in the Bronx selling Mares gear? Or you do not care that this may be happening?

Zak; I am sure independent instructors and facilities would be interested in the outcome of this.Did you find out about the independent in the Bronx selling Mares gear? Or you do not care that this may be happening?

This is beginning to sound like it belongs in "Whine & Cheese".

Oly

I think more so for myself, the ability to service gear more so then sell it.

tracy

Oly,

As I suggested you are more than welcome to forward me your information and I will have our district sales manager contact you. I personally don't know this account you are referring to, internet and searches aren't always 100% accurate, and most importantly I will not permit the use of our forum to disparage any dealer, you included. Please contact me and I'll be sure you have the opportunuty to discuss this with Jon.

Sincerely,

Zak,

I feel for you. First you have to listen to current LDS owners complain, now you get to listen to ex-LDS owners complain too.

It is a credit as to how professionally you handling this.

Zak,

I feel for you. First you have to listen to current LDS owners complain, now you get to listen to ex-LDS owners complain too.

It is a credit as to how professionally you handling this.
How can you say it is being handled professionally.Professionally handled would have been a reply like"glad that this has been brought to my attention and we will look into this"..
I am not complaining,just stating a fact.I do not personally care what the outcome of this is,just that there should be one,either Mares wholesales to independents or not.What is Mares policy on this??
If he was handling this professionally he would have investigated it. If Mares was retailing their equipment professionally it probably never would have happened,and if it did,would be corrected immediately..
He has all the information he needs to call his regional sales rep and ask "what's going on" with this I hear about a independent selling gear?Mares web site has it listed as a authorized dealer.There is no LDS in the Bronx called "Bronx Scuba"..only Capt Mikes on City Island,,and as far as I know they are not a Mares dealer for obvious reasons.
If it is true then all is fine in the world.Just do not make it policy that you have to show all necessary requirements (store front location/compressor/business licenses/etc)to sell Mares.Maybe if it is policy to sell wholesale to independents this may bring him more business.
I am sure all existing storefront LDS who have invested thousands of $$$$$$ for a retail location and inventory will be interested in this.

Last edited:
Oly

I think more so for myself, the ability to service gear more so then sell it.

tracy

Tracy;If their policy is indeed to sell wholesale to independents, I think they should sell you rebuild kits..you may just have to show that you attended their repair clinic and have additional liability insurance.

Tracy;If their policy is indeed to sell wholesale to independents, I think they should sell you rebuild kits..you may just have to show that you attended their repair clinic and have additional liability insurance.

I wanted to go to Mares repair clinic at DEMA but was told I couldnt because I do not work for a dive shop. I would have gladly paid the class fees to get the experience/knowledge.....to me with this frame of mind in a business model, no one could possibly gain equipment repair knowledge to even put on a resume to be considered for hire....

How can you say it is being handled professionally.Professionally handled would have been a reply like"glad that this has been brought to my attention and we will look into this"..
I am not complaining,just stating a fact.I do not personally care what the outcome of this is,just that there should be one,either Mares wholesales to independents or not.What is Mares policy on this??
If he was handling this professionally he would have investigated it. If Mares was retailing their equipment professionally it probably never would have happened,and if it did,would be corrected immediately..
He has all the information he needs to call his regional sales rep and ask "what's going on" with this I hear about a independent selling gear?Mares web site has it listed as a authorized dealer.There is no LDS in the Bronx called "Bronx Scuba"..only Capt Mikes on City Island,,and as far as I know they are not a Mares dealer for obvious reasons.
If it is true then all is fine in the world.Just do not make it policy that you have to show all necessary requirements (store front location/compressor/business licenses/etc)to sell Mares.Maybe if it is policy to sell wholesale to independents this may bring him more business.
I am sure all existing storefront LDS who have invested thousands of $$$$$$ for a retail location and inventory will be interested in this.

Oly,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will look into it. Next time a simple private message is all thats required. Again we do not discuss our business partnerships or policies in a public forum.

RE: Tech Training...

We have nothing against instructors going through our Lab program. In fact we've already certified many. The reality is, there is a small finite number of spaces available per program. We are obligated to support dive store technicians first when possible. Then the instructors / staff members associated with a Mares dealer are welcome to join with the consent of affiliated dive store. At DEMA there are few days, and more dealers that need / want certification than we have space for. It is an unfortunate position to have to prioritize but it must be done. I'm sure you can appreciate this. For any instructor wanting to go through the Lab Program I suggest you connect and create a partnership with a dealer, and work it that way. We have regional programs all year throughout the country. The Lab calendar is posted on our website. Please note we are in the process of launching the new website so the next week or so it will be a little clunky.

Best to everyone, I'm back to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom