Houston Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandHopper

Reaction score
OK ... So I'll be moving back to Houston in the not-to-distant future...

While I've been gone, I picked up a SCUBA habit... where will I be able to feed this nasty habit when I return ???
I certainly don't expect to find anything like my current paradise, but where DO you folks dive ???

IslandHopper:
OK ... So I'll be moving back to Houston in the not-to-distant future...

While I've been gone, I picked up a SCUBA habit... where will I be able to feed this nasty habit when I return ???
I certainly don't expect to find anything like my current paradise, but where DO you folks dive ???

Hi IslandHopper:
I just moved to the Houston area 8 months ago from Chicago.
I live 10 minutes from a place called Twin Lakes. Seems to be very popular, and if you have a dry suit, you can dive it year round.
Also Lake Travis, sounds popular if you're in the Austin area.
Do a search through this forum and you'll find lots of answers on diving, and local get togethers.
I hope our paths will cross in the future.

Hey Natasha....when are you gonna drive those 10 minutes to the lake and visit with the Swampers? We've already told you you don't have to dive that nasty old fresh water! :wink:

There are charters/fishing boats that go to the rigs. The water around Galveston and Kemah are like chocolate milk, it would be 0 viz diving. Some folks dive close to one of the inland marinas in Galveston but you have to be careful of petrol and stuff on the surface.

Dee:
Hey Natasha....when are you gonna drive those 10 minutes to the lake and visit with the Swampers? We've already told you you don't have to dive that nasty old fresh water! :wink:

Well, you know I was packed and made brownies last summer..and it poured down rain.
This summer for sure!

Island Hopper,

You can do some shore diving in Offatt's Bauou (off 61st in Galveston) You can park you car and make entry right there. Weekdays are beat. Lots of boats, etc. on weekends. The viz can go from 3-4 feet to 10-15 feet, depending. It is current free. A number of the commercial dive schools do their training there. Depth is 0 to about 30'. Can be pretty silty/muddy on bottom. Lots of big rocks around the edge. Can find stone crabs (suggest use of tongs) English Bayou is also divable.....it is just across the street from Offatt's. They are connected by water running under a bridge on 61st St. The Galveston Bay complex is OUT for rec diving, too muddy. You can dive the Galveston jetties, BUT....it's all about timing. Clear water has to be in, you have to watch the tide changes carefully, and you'll need a boat. All that said, diving the jetties can be pretty interesting. I've seen viz at 30-40 feet over the years (highly unusual) 3'-8' would be good. Also week days are best. I've seen some pretty big fish out there.

Lots of people go to Twin Lakes, I do sometimes because I live 5 minutes from there, it's easy diving and I have yet to meet my first A-- Ho-- out there. I know, give it time and anything is possible. A great bunch of divers frequent the place. Hope to see you around.

Regards,

I was wondering about the jetties ... we used to catch some big bull-reds on them. We'd walk out on the jetties though, no boat. I've been out there though, when waves were crashing over it ... not good for entering the water all geared up :)
I have a feeling I'm gonna have to do a lot of traveling to do much diving back there ... I've grown acustomed to 85 degree water with unlimited visibility and reefs and wrecks everywhere you turn.

If you are wanting to go salt, the rigs are surely your best bet. The VA Fogg isn't a bad gig either. Just plan on giving up the whole day since it is a dawn till dusk affair on any of these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom