Houston Business Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N.E.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So my wife is going to Houston for business. She will be there for an on/off duration of about five weeks. I will be coming down for a long weekend one of the weeks she will be there and I would like to do some diving.

1) Looking for possible dive sites within say a 2-3 hr trip

2) We enjoy the outdoors and sites to see or places to hike, suggestions??

Thanks in advance...

-A true Yankee!!

Well, the diving gets kinda slim around here in the winter. The choices are.....

1. Twin Lakes....closed at the moment, opening date unknown
2. Lost Lake...open but I don't care for the livestock running free, leaving their 'deposits' everywhere and/or barnyard runoff in the water. YMMV
3. Blue Lagoon - Huntsville, 2 hrs north....closed until March, I think.
4. Lake Travis - Austin, 3.5hrs west.... probably your best bet. 50-55º temps, viz in the 3-5ft range in the winter.
5. Comal River - San Marcos, 3 hrs west.....warmish 72º year round, shallow with currents.

As for outdoorsy stuff....

1. Armond Bayou....nice walking trails, good birding and photo ops.
2. Aransas Pass....Whooping Crane sanctuary but I think you have to take a boat to see the cranes
3.Galveston....beaching walking and shelling. Moody Gardens and the Aquarium is a good way to pass a day.

I'm sure there are others but I'm not familiar with them.

They seem to have covered diving pretty well.

Eagle Lake (west of Houston) has good waterfowl hunting and/or bird watching. Amazing to see hundred thousand snow geese all at once. Once saw 4 bald eagles feeding on one kill.

Galveston Island can be interesting, Be sure to check out the Elissa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom