Housing vacuum sealed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there

I just received a used Ikelite housing in the mail.
The seller did not remove the o ring before he shipped it, and I live at elevation.....it is shut as tight as a giant clam!

Tried submersing it in warm water already.

I could kick myself for not reminding the guy to remove to o ring if it was in place!

Any ideas on how to get it open?

If this is for a dslr, can you unscrew the lens port to get it to release?

if not, if you have a good candy thermometer and a big enough pot, I would try to put it in water that is heated to ~150F which will keep you under the Tg of the acrylic.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are higher up, there is less external pressure, so the housing should literally pop open, shouldn't it?

I'm comparing it to flying with a little drybox I have... no problem opening it on the plane, but when I get back down, I need to pry it open...

Gah!!!!! I just read the Ikelite manual online. I have figured it out.
Yes. I'm totally technical stuff common sense challenged......and I dive. Pray for me!

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are higher up, there is less external pressure, so the housing should literally pop open, shouldn't it?

I'm comparing it to flying with a little drybox I have... no problem opening it on the plane, but when I get back down, I need to pry it open...

I was going to bring that up, but I figured maybe he had the shipping location at a higher altitude that he is and it was actually stuck shut....

Ha! glad you put it out there. We all do bonehead things and typically hope that no one notices. good for a chuckle this morning. That said... don't store your oring installed as it will take a set - put it in a ziploc and store inside the housing.

Back
Top Bottom