Housing and camera protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finesse

Reaction score
What do you carry your photography equipment in while traveling? (digital camera/housing/strobe)

Any other methods or is a Pelican case the only way to go??

Thanks in advance!!!
Scott

Since I always carry my camera system as carry-on, I got tired of the big, clunky, heavy Pelican case. So I bought a camera back-pak. I disassemble the housing from the tray and just pack it all, including batteries and charger.

Thats kind of what I was thinking ....The camera already has a nice "home" . It would really just be for the housing and strobe.

Anyone else with there methods of transport??

camera in carryon along with regs and computers.

strobe, arms, housing, accessories in a pelican 1650 (came with the strobe) which is then placed inside the biggest softsided suitcase I could find at walmart... and it just fits with a little room at one end for some paperbacks, etc.

it all depends on what housing you have... size wise, and how much other crap you're already carrying-on. There is no way I could carry on the strobe and ike housing... we each take a 'max' size carryon, and they are already stuffed. I tried to fit it all in once and I could do it, except for my laptop. So, I figured at least my way doesn't scream "Look at me!!! expensive crap inside!!!" like a pelican case alone does.

hi
I guess it depends on how much gear you have. I have a 1650 and I fit all my gear in it (4 strobes, 1 housing, nik V with all the lenses, cables, rechargers, 1 port). Admittedly it is quite bulky and there is no way you can hand carry it through (sigh....)
There are other alternatives to the pelican, I read a dive magazine (think one brand was lowepro) and they compared the pelican with a few other brands of "softer" camera bags. Guess it all depends what you think is important.
For pure robustness and strength I would choose the pelican , if it's for ease and comfort for carring around, then maybe the soft bag option, here is the link for one of the soft bags options:

http://www.cameratech.com/Products/LowePro.html

I guess it also depends how much you want to spend
Hope this helps
Jeff

Have you looked at the Porter Case?

http://www.portercase.com/photocase.htm

It is the maximum FAA carry-on size. I fit the following in it:

Sea&Sea NX-80 housing
Sea&Sea Custom Flat Port
Sea&Sea Standard Dome Port
Sea&Sea Strobes (2 ea. YS-120's)
Strobe arms (both macro & wide angle)
Focus light, hot shoe, and lens kit

It's the only hard lugggage I have found that will allow me to take BOTH macro and wide-angle SLR U/W gear as carry-on.

Worth every penny, IMHO.

Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom