house insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have thought as others did, owners insurance covers.

As a renter with no signed lease: I was sued for damages from a fire caused by the owner’s property. The owner was compensated for his destroyed property and the home repairs were covered by his State Farm insurance.
The owner was thrilled with a complete interior remodel due to smoke damage, he didn’t complain of an increase in premium.
It was a very ugly thing for me, my property insurance was cheap but only for my personal property. Other renters may have a better insurance, if so the property owner’s should be filing against it.

I’m guessing you’re wondering if filing a claim is worse than fixing it yourself. I’d carefully read my policy before filing. And if it is worse than it looks, get an estimate for repair and compare to deductible. Also speak to another agent (same company) and ask about it as a theoretical situation.
The photo makes it look to me likely a better deal to do it myself and accept the small area not quite match vs risk a higher premium.
Also reevaluate the coverage in place with a renter occupying it.

AS a simple tip from one with way too much recent experience dealing with insurance companies, even if the damage is technically covered by the policy it may take a lawyer to collect. Most structure policies have a significant deductables so that much damage may or may nnot make it above the limit.

When buying insurance get and fully understand the claims process BEFORE buying the policy. In many cases "homeowners insurance" has been whittled down to fire and personal liability. Most other damage sources are NOT covered by a basic policy.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom