Hotlinking problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i just got onto the site and when it loaded it loaded about 100+ no hot linking allowed images on the site, and im wondering if this is a glitch in the software or what. i can understand wnating to stop people from leaching bandwidth but thats alot of logos on the site.

Scubatooth

Scubatooth,
Since you are loading our site directly I would assume you have a firewall or anti-virus program that is altering your referrer connection string, you need to access our site directly for it to function -- not via a proxy.

well the site is loading now it was just plain wired that it came up

but i dont have any proxy connection set, and im behind a no internet addressable ip through my isp for which i have DSL service

and im using standard norton system works with all the latest updates.

tech admin myy question is that was there a glitch in my system or isp provider that kicked this httpd, hta.access script to kick in and display that image ? this just seems so wired to me

Scubatooth

Given what I know of Norton's systems I would blame it on their system. It is not a bug of Norton but rather a "feature" of theirs to run everything through a proxy... this effects hotlinking referrers, banners, the photo gallery and more depending on your exact settings. Logic of course dictates that if it happened once it would happen every time but I simply assume norton blocked the referrer information this time... for some reason.

thanks for the info tech admin i will look in my norton set up to see what they have running because having that many things redirecting data isnt what i want, and then to get rid of the pesky bugs.

its amazing that they cant just build a clean program without needing a whole lot of misc connections

Back
Top Bottom