Hotel Cozumel vs Vista Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, I'm going to look at other options on my next visit and want a hotel and diving combination that doesn't require me to take a taxi to go diving.

Very easy to do. Either with hotels that have an on-site dive op or allow other dive shops to pick up at their pier...or several places in town and use a dive op that picks up at the Aqua Safari, Aldora or even Barracuda pier.

This gives you beaucoup options.

Good luck with that... I was an INVITED guest of one of the customers and was treated as though I were an enemy intruder bent on stealing whatever I could get my hands on. Not a pleasant experience...

I don't think you understood what I was explaining. I had snorkeled the area from what is now the Palace to & in front of Scuba Club several times while staying at Plaza Los Glorias. That was pre Wilma when there was more to see, and at the time there were 2 young Eagle Rays hanging around in the area who weren't that afraid of divers or snorkelers so I followed them around. I didn't try to get onto Scuba Club's property, nor did I see any life around the dock area because everyone was out diving at that time of day. This trip I intend to shore dive my way back to the Palace or maybe further north & make a new album of what I see.

If you end up at Hotel Coz, I would not get the All-Inclusive Package...just get the breakfast. The breakfast is good and offers plenty of variety for different people’s own choices. But Cozumel has so MANY different and great restaurants that I find myself trying a different one each night. There is a decent little restaurant next to the Dive Paradise shop for a nice lunch after the morning dives or you can eat at the Hotel or go out into the town. I know there are various Top 10 Cozumel Restaurant lists on such places as Trip Advisor…why limit yourself? :grinbandit:

On another note...Dive Paradise is so easily accessible from Hotel Coz that for me there is no other place I rather go. Paradise Dive and Hotel Coz I have been told are both owned by Apple...so the two businesses are really well synched up...in both price and amenities.

I am definitely a Hotel Coz fan… :yeahbaby:

Haven't tried Vista Del Mar...so no comment there.
Have a great time and try Coconuts on the otherside of the island for a good dinner/lunch with a great view. :monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance:

My vote goes to Hotel Cozumel. We have been staying there for years and love the location, staff and the beach area across the street. They have done a really nice job expanding the area and it has a very easy entry into the water via the man made lagoon. I am also a Dive Paradise Fan and love the convenience of the shop and pier right on the hotel property. The owner of the hotel lives in the house directly behind the new beach area and is also the person that owns and built the private airstrip in Cozumel.
I agree with Cicopo regarding the food. We always do the inclusive, if you do the math by just eating one meal, and having a soft drink or alcoholic drink you are still saving money and can eat out for dinner every night. I can tell you that Berta makes the best eggs and omelets fresh to order and there is always plenty of fruit, cereal, yogurt etc every morning. We stayed thirteen days in November and only ate off the property four times and that is because we love to support the local business's and not because the food at Hotel Coz was bad. IMHO you should be able to find something you like at each meal unless you are expecting 5 star.

I don't think you understood what I was explaining. I had snorkeled the area from what is now the Palace to & in front of Scuba Club several times while staying at Plaza Los Glorias. That was pre Wilma when there was more to see, and at the time there were 2 young Eagle Rays hanging around in the area who weren't that afraid of divers or snorkelers so I followed them around. I didn't try to get onto Scuba Club's property, nor did I see any life around the dock area because everyone was out diving at that time of day. This trip I intend to shore dive my way back to the Palace or maybe further north & make a new album of what I see.

A thousand apologies... You are correct, I misunderstood. The dive from the lighthouse back to ScubaClub was a good one - tiny scorpionfish, viper eel, etc. My comment on your post was just a kneejerk reaction from my experience on property there. Maybe they figured they didn't need to try to gain a new customer?

...if you do the math by just eating one meal, and having a soft drink or alcoholic drink you are still saving money and can eat out for dinner every night...

Cookielady,

OK...I did the math.

One diver and one non-diving girlfriend for 7 nights 5 Dive Days/4 Dive Afternoons during Feb 1 - April 8

Bed and Breakfast Buffet:
Diver $831 Non-Diver $426

All-Inclusive:
Diver $1058 Non-Diver $$653

Difference:
Diver $227 Non-Diver $227

Per Person per day = $32.43 for Lunch & Dinner and Drinks (Breakfast is included in both package deals). :geek:

So depending upon the person's drinking and eating habits $32.43 might be better well spent in the All-inclusive rate or pay as you go, where you want. :cheers:

Apple does not own the Hotel Cozumel...I guess I got mis-information. It must have been from a Politician. :facepalm:

I usually get the AI option for $15-$20 per person per day. Since my wife doesn't dive she either hangs out around the pool or beach club & has a few drinks each day, MOSTLY Lemonade or the odd Pina Colada but either way they would cost her something, and many people don't realize that a beer & a soft drink cost about the same at the resorts. We always eat out too, but for us the AI always works out as the way to go unless it's more than what we have paid in the past.

Old Bear,
I don't think we have ever paid more then $20 per person a day for the inclusive. I guess it depends on where you book through and the time of year you travel as well. In our case, it has always worked out to out to our advantage.

Cookielady,

I usually just call to make my reservations and never really put much thought into it. I pulled these prices from Hotel Coz's website. So without the risk of Hijacking this thread :hijack:...I think we both can agree that Hotel Coz and Paradise Dive is a great place to stay and dive while in Cozumel. :cool3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom