Hotel Cozumel vs Vista Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning my first trip to Cozumel, and I think I have hotels narrowed down to 2 choices. The way I see it...

Vista Del Mar: Pros are, right in downtown, slight price advantage. Cons are no beach and pool is not nearly as nice as hotel cozumel.

Hotel Cozumel, Pros are beach and pool, Cons are longer walk to town for supper (will not be doing the all-inclusive).

I would probably like to do a shore dive one afternoon, so staying at Hotel Coz would allow me to just walk down to the beach and grab a tank from Paradise, staying at Vista Del Mar will mean lugging gear a little further, but there may be better places to do a shore dive which would mean that there would be no advantage to Hotel Coz.

I plan on using one of the dive ops that has steel tanks (aldora, living underwater, or liquid blue) so I don't think that factors into the hotel choice.

Does Cozumel have any beaches that are nearby downtown that would be worth lounging around for the afternoon, if I was to go the Vista Del Mar route?

Thanks for any input!

If you are staying downtown and diving with Aldora we have free tanks (HP Steel) at our Villa Aldora which is just 3/4 mile north of the ferry pier, and like a $4 taxi ride. Right in front of the Villa with a 12 foot deep wall to explore, there is great snorkeling and shallow beach dives.

As far as your hotel choice I can highly recommend the Bahia Hotel. It is a better choice than either of the two you are considering, in my opinion, and I believe has prices as low or lower. For the few years that I did not own the Villa Aldora, the Bahia was my choice to stay when in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave the prices listed for the Villa is for lodging and shore dives only, and does not include any boat diving?

Planning my first trip to Cozumel, and I think I have hotels narrowed down to 2 choices. The way I see it...

Vista Del Mar: Pros are, right in downtown, slight price advantage. Cons are no beach and pool is not nearly as nice as hotel cozumel.

Hotel Cozumel, Pros are beach and pool, Cons are longer walk to town for supper (will not be doing the all-inclusive).

I would probably like to do a shore dive one afternoon, so staying at Hotel Coz would allow me to just walk down to the beach and grab a tank from Paradise, staying at Vista Del Mar will mean lugging gear a little further, but there may be better places to do a shore dive which would mean that there would be no advantage to Hotel Coz.

I plan on using one of the dive ops that has steel tanks (aldora, living underwater, or liquid blue) so I don't think that factors into the hotel choice.

Does Cozumel have any beaches that are nearby downtown that would be worth lounging around for the afternoon, if I was to go the Vista Del Mar route?

Thanks for any input!

Of the 2 hotels you have asked about, Hotel Cozumel & Dive Paradise are a hard combination to beat.
Which is why the ScubaBoard's Cozumel Invasion will be held there again this year

I would not let one shore dive impact your hotel decision. If you use Aldora, just taxi up to Villa Aldora.

For Jan 5-12, 2012, Cheaptickets has the Bahia at $49 a night; Hotel Cozumel $84/night; Vista del Mar $61/night (all per room/night)

Anyone diving with Aldora may use the Villa Aldora pool, beach and scuba tanks, no matter where you are staying.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I've stayed at both and you seem to have a pretty good handle on the pros and cons between the two choices. Hotel Cozumel does not have a natural beach but does have a small man-made beach with decent shore diving. I've stayed there twice and would do so again. Don't forget that Vista del Mar includes a continental breakfast delivered to your door each morning. Their pool is not much to speak of and I didn't use it at all. Have stayed there twice as well and would also use them again as well. If access to a decent pool and shore diving are most important then go with Hotel Cozumel. If downtown location and easy access to lots of good food and other attractions are most important, then go with Vista del Mar. Either way, have a great trip!

Last edited:
I've stayed at Vista Del Mar my last few visits. I stay there for all the pluses you stated, close to town, easy on the budget, etc.

That being said, I'm going to look at other options on my next visit and want a hotel and diving combination that doesn't require me to take a taxi to go diving. I paid the taxis $14/day to dive with Opal's Dream so that offset the savings of staying at VDM.

I haven't stayed at Vista Del Mar so can't offer any advice re it however I've stayed at Hotel Coz several times & will be there again in Feb. Last trip I made 2 shore dives there both to test my gear & my leg which had to have a torn Achilles tendon re attached. I didn't venture south as far as where the new ferry pier was being built nor over to Scuba Clubs waterfront area (which I had snorkeled many years before) so I didn't see everything there is to see. I've got a photo album of what I did see plus a tour of Hotel Cozumel with links to reviews etc. One of the regulars on the Cozumel Tripadvisor forum described the food at Hotel Coz "horrible" last week but I don't share that opinion & have bought the AI package as always. Photos here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom